Jebao DCP-6500 Return Pump Issues - Others Experiences

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, My tank is now 2yrs running and I have used a Jebao DCP-6500 as my return pump without any issues for the first year and 6 months or so. In the last 90 days, I have replaced it twice. and again will need to take action. What is happening is that it stops working with either an Error Code 4 or 5. I bought a new pump, which then did the same thing, replaced it with the 3rd one (warranty - no cost, yet), which is also now doing it.

- I have replaced the AC Adapter
- I have replaced the Controller Unit
- I have cleaned all 3 pumps with Citric Acid. They then work for a period of time and then stop.

I seem to be able to restart the pump after power cycling it. I see good reviews and bad reviews for this pump. I also have read some general bad reviews for all DC pumps, that they fail within a year or so, regardless of brand. I am considering switching to a Sicce or other brand, but before I do, I wanted to see if others have encountered problems with the Jebao, and have fixed the problem long term. Just dont want to drop $300+ on a different brand pump, but it is time I believe

any feedback on personal experience / advice would be much appreciated.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 tanks, 3 jebao DCT/DCP return pumps no issues. IIRC the error 4 is a impeller fault, do you have any life in the return chamber? Maybe something small is jamming up the pump.

You could switch brands and still have the same issue with something even more expensive. I'd legit troubleshoot first. Something is chewing up pumps...

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, My tank is now 2yrs running and I have used a Jebao DCP-6500 as my return pump without any issues for the first year and 6 months or so. In the last 90 days, I have replaced it twice. and again will need to take action. What is happening is that it stops working with either an Error Code 4 or 5. I bought a new pump, which then did the same thing, replaced it with the 3rd one (warranty - no cost, yet), which is also now doing it.

- I have replaced the AC Adapter
- I have replaced the Controller Unit
- I have cleaned all 3 pumps with Citric Acid. They then work for a period of time and then stop.

I seem to be able to restart the pump after power cycling it. I see good reviews and bad reviews for this pump. I also have read some general bad reviews for all DC pumps, that they fail within a year or so, regardless of brand. I am considering switching to a Sicce or other brand, but before I do, I wanted to see if others have encountered problems with the Jebao, and have fixed the problem long term. Just dont want to drop $300+ on a different brand pump, but it is time I believe

any feedback on personal experience / advice would be much appreciated.
Have you checked the voltage at the wall socket?

n1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a DCP8000, also have a spare. When the first one stopped working after about year I broke out my spare. It ran for about a couple of months then the same fault code - impeller fault.

I found this guide:

It was indeed the impeller that was seized, more specifically the bushing between the magnet and plastic plate. Maybe you can check? I did try citric acid but it didn't work. The bushing was preventing the impeller from spinning freely.

Now both pumps are running without issue.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the voltage at the wall socket?
Yes, As a matter of fact, I just installed (2) new 20AM dedicated circuits this weekend (took 2 years). I moved the pump to those circuits and same issue..

I see the thread with taking the impeller apart. I have the spare pump on hand. I will pull that impeller apart as described above and try that.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a DCP8000, also have a spare. When the first one stopped working after about year I broke out my spare. It ran for about a couple of months then the same fault code - impeller fault.

I found this guide:

It was indeed the impeller that was seized, more specifically the bushing between the magnet and plastic plate. Maybe you can check? I did try citric acid but it didn't work. The bushing was preventing the impeller from spinning freely.

thanks for sending this link. I have the spare pump on hand, so I am going to take apart that impeller as shown above. That seems to be a likely fix, or at least, eliminate that as a cause.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I found this guide:

So are you dosing Alk or Calcium near the return pump chamber? I took the impeller apart and it is currently soaking, but it seems like alot of work to do to take it apart every few months (the impeller unit). Was wondering what is causing the problem to start with.

n1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you dosing Alk or Calcium near the return pump chamber? I took the impeller apart and it is currently soaking, but it seems like alot of work to do to take it apart every few months (the impeller unit). Was wondering what is causing the problem to start with.
I dose into the sump - Alk, CA, NO3 just after the drain from the display tank. I also use kalkwasser for top off, and feed once a day. In my experience descaling equipment has always been part of maintenance.

I think all of my current pumps are Jebao (SLW, RW, DCP) and they all require some maintenance from time to time. I can't speak for other brands.

Good luck! I hope the problem is just the impeller.

n1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose into the sump - Alk, CA, NO3 just after the drain from the display tank. I also use kalkwasser for top off, and feed once a day. In my experience descaling equipment has always been part of maintenance.

I think all of my current pumps are Jebao (SLW, RW, DCP) and they all require some maintenance from time to time. I can't speak for other brands.

Good luck! I hope the problem is just the impeller.

I forgot I do have Tunze powerheads, these pumps require very little maintenance relative to Jebao. And are priced accordingly.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back