Jebao DP-4 Dosing Pump head repair

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Jebao DP-4 dosing pump that I use to dose Vinegar and Kalkwasser. The pump head that is used for Kalkwasser started making noises this morning and it also quit pumping.

So, I took the head off and apart and it appears the tubing end fitting was clogged with Kalkwasser and/or the tube was worn out. For now, I ended up just replacing the head for now, with a spare head that was in the box.

Has anyone else had their pump head fail and what was your solution? Did you replace the entire pump head, replace the tubing or just clean it?

Thanks for any insights

:)
IMG_20170910_070306 -2.jpg
IMG_20170910_070434 - 2.jpg
CM170910-072454005 - 2.jpg

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the DP-4 off amazon prime and they have complete replacement heads on prime shipped for $8 FYI

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this video.

I just did this on my new doser cause the heads would not pump, did this fix and they work now.

Basically, this part, the 3 barrels
bf94f21a2a59949ec56225a42acf76b0.jpg

Is backwards and the pumps operate properly if you flip it around. So maybe try that on the one that quit working..

OP
OP
Tim Olson

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the DP-4 off amazon prime and they have complete replacement heads on prime shipped for $8 FYI

Thanks ... that's probably the best way to go. Although, my problem is I always want to tear things apart and try to fix it, I think it's a curse on all Engineers. I'll get some spares, though, to make sure I'm covered.

All the best!

OP
OP
Tim Olson

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this video.

I just did this on my new doser cause the heads would not pump, did this fix and they work now.

Is backwards and the pumps operate properly if you flip it around. So maybe try that on the one that quit working..

Thanks, I'll give that a try and see if it helps :)

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I ordered the Jebao DP-4pump and a spare head for $70 shipped today.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this video.

This worked for me. Bought my Jebao DP-4 brand new and all four pump heads were backwards. Good eye for noticing this easy to solve problem.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll mention that I did not see any lubricant on the rollers. I applied a lube on just one of my pump head rollers to see if it improves performance/stalls it out.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll mention that I did not see any lubricant on the rollers. I applied a lube on just one of my pump head rollers to see if it improves performance/stalls it out.
Don't lubricate the rollers! The rollers stop moving, and just the lubricant will spin around them. Live and learn.

netsequent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same experience last year with mine but only after finding two sources on youtube that said their pump had been continueing to work for for over a year. I was using it to dose kalk saturated distilled vinegar 10x per day and it died very quickly in a few weeks. I didn't realize it until I noticed some GHA growing in the tank and thought nothing of it until then because Alkalinity was stable. Considering that the my pump shipped with a spare head I concluded that this prouct is a ridiculous and frustrating waste of time and money. I haven't taken the head apart to assess whether the barrels in my pump are "backwards" but will give it a second chance. My advice here if your using this pump is to saturate the kalk soution with 200ml makeup water after filtering out an precipitated solid calcium, and increase dosing. I expect having a faster refill cycle on my dosing containers will make it easier to monitor the pump, and the addition of makeup water will prevent clogging.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do4 doser also came backwards and after fixing works great. The only problem I have is air keeps getting in the line on the discharge side I have gone over the whole pump making sure every fitting is on securely to no avail has anyone else had this problem?

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef man 89,

I have the same issue with my tubing. I put check valves on my outgoing lines to see if it would make a difference. It helped a bit, but did not completely resolve the issue.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef man 89,

I have the same issue with my tubing. I put check valves on my outgoing lines to see if it would make a difference. It helped a bit, but did not completely resolve the issue.

That was my next step to add check valves. But wanted to see if anyone else has had the same problem and what they did to fix it.

FBat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this video.

Thanks for the tip. My DP-4 was squeaking loudly (all heads), the issue is fixed now after applying the modification.
Dosing time for 50ml also has been reduced from 114 secs to 90 secs.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back