Jebao Experience

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R, yesterday was entering to my home and found a surprise, some water in my carpet around my cube stand. Imagine that.
What happened: my Jebao DC 3000 stopped working, no idea for how long, but i guess not too long based on the water amount in the carpet. Thks to my floating valve in my top off it wasn't worst. The water in the carpet was coming from the overflowed skimmer (vertex omega 130) unfortunately my skimmer was to close to the border in my sump then the water fall in the stand floor then in my carpet.

My Jebao DC-3000 is or was (don't know wich word to use) 8 eight months old, bought it in March 22nd/2014, still have the original receipts and box, the purchase was done through amazon in a place called Tech n Toys, was ready to call and ask but off course no phone number at the page only an email, i sent a msg asking about my warranty, the answer took no longer than an hour, basically it says that my pump must have some parts burned or bad bit they sell the replacement parts and off course not free or in the warranty, I replied about the warranty and the msg back was "Jebao is in China and the shipping to warranty issues will be more expensive than the pump itself". End of the history.

Learned: never ever buy anything for my pride (reef) that have no direct warranty in the US, in fact its not about money cause the pump was no more than$75, it's about the frustration. Thank God i kept my "old" Mag 3.5, that i used for three years and never a problem and placed away because of my new Jebao DC 3000 bnib pump.
Last week i was feeling kind of buyers remorse after buying an Ecotech Radion but after this Jebao experience, i am the happiest owner with my built and serviced in the US Ecotech product, that i know in case of any warranty issue the customer service will be top notch!!!!
Sooooo never ever anymore cheapo stuff for my tank, EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Reefing R2R community and hope the best for you all!!!!!!!!

Saltwater226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it happen with my 3 dc12000 (i was stupid and bought 3 of them since the price was good)
and 2 of my wp40's failed already

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues here with the DC 12,000 and I run it as a return pump 24/7. For the first time I cleaned it out maybe a month ago and it was full of gunk. Not sure what you're doing right or wrong for five of Jabao products to go bad. I have heard of their products going bad on others.

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is the risk you take. You can buy 3-4 jebaos for the price of one MP40 and if your lucky they can go 2-3yrs. Imagine if you bought a Mp40 and it died at 11 months. Then you are out $250+ instead of $75.

In the end I think it was still a smart idea to buy the jebao.

OP
OP
sromero287

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr.Coffee i think based on my experience that "when you buy cheap stuff, no matter what you end up paying double, period. Same situation with ecotech after 8 months will be a bnib pump at your door.
Same situation happened with my AI Sol's then 2 1/2 years i called them to buy the parts and fix my lights, guess what? The answer was: send back the unit and we will fix it for you at no cost. I call that service and brand reputation, trying to buy a part to fix and end up paying nothing!!!!!

Bye bye Jebao, never ever, no thanks

BlueZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I guess its hit or miss, my 2 WP40s (oldest style controller) are still trucking and are going on 18 months now.

I was tinkering with a DC12000 for a while and came across an issue with them. The ceramic bearing pointed out in the pic below that is located under the clear ring with rubber grommet. The tolerances on it are too tight and seem prone to locking up. I had this happen a few times when stopping and restarting the pump. It would get stuck so hard if have to use a plyers to get it loose again. I think what's happening to people is this shaft locks up but the pump still tries to run and it burns up the motor. Seems like the fix would be looser tolerances on the bearing. Something for you guys to check if your pump stops running.

210D890F-0090-4F46-866C-0C98DC8C1327.png_zpssc0n8js6.jpeg

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I guess its hit or miss, my 2 WP40s (oldest style controller) are still trucking and are going on 18 months now.

I was tinkering with a DC12000 for a while and came across an issue with them. The ceramic bearing pointed out in the pic below that is located under the clear ring with rubber grommet. The tolerances on it are too tight and seem prone to locking up. I had this happen a few times when stopping and restarting the pump. It would get stuck so hard if have to use a plyers to get it loose again. I think what's happening to people is this shaft locks up but the pump still tries to run and it burns up the motor. Seems like the fix would be looser tolerances on the bearing. Something for you guys to check if your pump stops running.

210D890F-0090-4F46-866C-0C98DC8C1327.png_zpssc0n8js6.jpeg

Awesome advice thanks!

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr.Coffee i think based on my experience that "when you buy cheap stuff, no matter what you end up paying double, period. Same situation with ecotech after 8 months will be a bnib pump at your door.
Same situation happened with my AI Sol's then 2 1/2 years i called them to buy the parts and fix my lights, guess what? The answer was: send back the unit and we will fix it for you at no cost. I call that service and brand reputation, trying to buy a part to fix and end up paying nothing!!!!!

Bye bye Jebao, never ever, no thanks

What do you mean same situation with ecotech? Are you saying ecotech and AI sell cheap stuff? 0.o I must be reading this wrong.

OP
OP
sromero287

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading wrong MrCoffee2, Ecotech and Ai are the best of the best, only figuring out the same situation with any of these big company's the warranty process will be way easier. I recalled a situation with Ai not even in warranty and they cover it with no problem. Happy reefing!!!!!!!!

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use jebao and love them for WaveMakers (wp60's) but I would NEVER use one for a primary life support piece (return pump for example) that's just asking for trouble...

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four Jebao wave makers and all have outlasted my old MP40 and all four put together are still less money and much less noise. After taking apart (full disection) EcoTech products both wave makers and lights IMHO/IME there is not much improvement component quality wise over Jebao and much less than Tunze products that I have serviced .

Cheers, Todd

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my jebao stuff from distributors like fish street or reef breeders so you have a good point of contact. If you have the money for ecotech or any of the other high dollar equip then go for it but so far i am finding that my jebao are performing flawlessly. I have a dc12000 on one of 90's two rw8's on same tank, two rw15's on other 90 just clean them every few months working great.

ptreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had like 5 pumps over last 2 yrs. Only one of the pumps died. But still have power supplies and controller and spare parts. Awesome deal for what they are.
Not sure I'd use my main return pump as chancing??

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back