Jebao reliability?

Sludgysnail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I'm a new guy so sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm starting my first tank (36 gallon bowfront). I wanted to use an mp10 pump, but I've found starting a saltwater tank is as expensive as they say (if not more!). I think I'm going to go with a Jebao SLW-20M to get started and upgrade down the line (I figure it will be good to have the slw as a backup anyway). A Squaretrade warranty is offered for $5. I'm not concerned about the price of the warranty, but I usually don't buy them. I've heard enough stories about Jebao that made me hesitant to not add it (and make me think I should look in another direction). Any advice on their durability?

Vinny84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mate I’m pretty new had my tank running for 9 month I have Jebao sw4 running got to say had no problem and really impressed with quality and performance definitely recommend if you on a budget

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is all equipment reliability is a mixed bag (even the expensive ones).
Only overly negative or positive experiences are shared online. Majority dont care or dont have the time.
So anyone and everyone "advice" take it with a grain of salt. there are positive jebao and negative jebao reviews.

Here's what I did: I bought two jebao return pumps.
Positive: when mine breaks down, I just switch em out. I can use the extra one from my mixing station.
Negative: cant switch em out when Im on vacation (probability of happening very low).

The extra warranty is also a good peace of mind.

OP
OP
S

Sludgysnail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the replies. I had a feeling that it was really just the problem units you hear about, but not a lot from the satisfied customers. I'll probably get it ordered later today!

Mark_C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're OK. Just keep em clean every few months. I recently broke down a tank where I've been using a Jeabo return for over 2 years. A clean every couple of months and I've never had an issue with it. Also recently ran 2 SOW-15s (with built in wireless) in a 125 where they would splash water over the sides over 60% power. As Indy said, their controllers are a pain in the butt to figure out, but once dialed in work fine. They've got a pretty average noise level, operation, and lifespan, and they move water well, plus you'll save a few hundred off the designer label. They're a solid choice for a starter pump.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the earliest failure I had with a Jebao pump was 2 years. The Jebao powerhead in my QT tank, which was bought at the same time as the pump that failed at 2 years, is over 4 years old. The last Jebao return pump I had lasted about 4 years. The current return pump I have is about 3 years old. The two powerheads currently in my tank are about a year and a half old.

The biggest thing with Jebao pumps is you have to expect shorter lifespans. A Jebao isn't going to last as long as the name brand pumps. That's why they're cheaper. A lot of folks get really bent out of shape when a Jebao fails at the 6 - 12 month mark, which can happen. But, you can buy four Jebaos for the price of a single name brand pump. If the one fails early, just buy another. You've still saved 50% off the name brand pump.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back