Jebao vs Danner - mixing station pump

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using in your tank? Can one of those be used for a spare?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
CEReefer

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using in your tank? Can one of those be used for a spare?
I am using 2 Varios 6 at 40% each at the moment, so I would crank up one while waiting for the "new one" if one breaks.. don't have a spare to be honest, but also getting a spare varios, for a mixing station.. seems excessive..

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using a mag drive 9.5 for a few years for my mixing station pump. I also use a 9.5 and 18 as my sump (from basement) display pumps. And I believe a 5 or 7 for my skimmer feed. I think they are great. Certainly reliable.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag Drive are almost industrial grade and made to last - most have at least 5 year warranty IIRC. Jebao is not high quality. Both will probably work for mixing water and stuff.

I do not use nor recommend Jebao since they steal US and EU patents and make knockoff pumps. This is not the same thing as Chinese stuff that adheres to fair trade and patent laws which I have no issue with - Jebao steals and it harms real businesses doing R&D. This is why they sell on the internet and have no presence in any county where they could have legal action brought. I almost lost a company to Chinese IP theft, so this rings home to me and I wish that it did for more people - some of you might have had this happen already and nearly everybody knows somebody who is impacted by Chinese IP theft. If getting a cheaper pump is all that matters to you, then OK, but somebody is getting hurt.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jaboa dcp 10000 5 years old, bad *** pump that works great. still working now

I use it as my basement return pump, and I use my iwaki for my mixing station.

Saves me hundreds in electricity bills compared to the iwaki

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mag 9.5 not strong enough to do large changes. I use that for my swamp cooler. Worthless for water changes unless its all you got. I do 100G water changes at a time and dont have all day to wait. They are reliable mine is 15 years old and used a lot

Last edited:

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If getting a cheaper pump is all that matters to you, then OK, but somebody is getting hurt.
Bunch of nonsense.

Its not a cheaper pump, it is a chinese pump, where most pumps are made. Many of the pumps sold in the USA come from the same factories.

Its called competition, and its keeps the other pump companies from taking advantage of the consumer.

I have owned all of the pumps made today from best to worse. These are decent pumps at a decent price, and their reliability the same as the higher priced DC pumps here made in the same places.

what a joke, getting hurt lol pulllease

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I al;so have a baby Iwaki for my calcium reactor, swapped it out for a jabao dcp? 2000 it runs much cooler and is adjustable, and runs on a fraction of the watts of the better Iwaki pump. the Iwaki will run for forever, but the electricity cost makes me keep it on a shelf. The jaboa pays for itself after 2 years in electricity savings. and so I keep a back up on hand just in case, but ive never needed it. Had an impeller freeze because I ran it 2 years straight without cleaning. Amazon had one for 26 bucks, and if you didnt know the dcp 8500 I think has the same size impeller if needed. basically the next size down if you ever need one.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not easy to find information about the exact location of varios manufacturers. But if it was, I’d be willing to bet it’s the same place where they make Jebaos dcp. When I first saw the varios come out I thought, what a rip off of the jebao, because they look so similar and even dissemble the same way. Time and time again I see these US companies using the same manufacturers, then they slap a new shell or paint job and market their product as a new. Designed in California pfft, made with global parts….. yeeeeah and I’m your next sucker.. thanks for all your hard work bringing this product to market…again.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently own both. The mag is more reliable, but thats just because its an AC pump not a DC. Most DC pumps have less reliability due to more electronics so you can have flow control. The mag is so small and pumps so little water its not in the same league. Saying there is a night and day difference, does not justify how much more water the DCQ will pump. On paper its only 2/3 stronger, but in real life its like 10 X stronger. The mag is outdated with an old impeller design from 40 years ago, just straight fins and the flow is not adjustable. The Jebao has a design sort of like the iwaki with a centrifugal impeller yet adjustable flow and ceramic bearings and shaft. I think my mag pump is stainless steel? I dont remember its been a while since its been sent to the swamp cooler. You want the best mixing pump get a large used Iwaki and you will buy only one and get over 20 years out of it. I ran mine for a decade as a basement return pump. If you want affordability and a ton of flow and decent reliability get the jebao, but mag oh heck no!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is unfortunate that some people have to lose their jobs or have someone close to them lose their jobs to see the difference between made in China by a legit company that adheres to laws, and a company that steals patents and IP and making knockoffs and hides on the internet to avoid legal recourse. I never can decide if people just don't see it, or don't want to since they got a pump for less money. I can kinda respect those that just admit that they don't care since at least they appear both smart and honest.

Some of the same people complain about how new products are substandard, too slow to come out and cost too much... when they will buy the goods with the stolen IP which robs the company of money to do better or more R&D. ...and most of them think that the politicians and leaders are what is wrong with our country yet they themselves throw their fellow countryman under the bus and then make excuses about it or just look the other way.

This is not the only hobby that this happens with. Some have it way worse where nearly all of the OEM companies have quit and there have not been new products for a decade.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back