Jebao wavemakers - opinions

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a DC wavemaker, and something small and not too powerful for a 15 gallon tank. I know Jebao makes some low cost wavemakers, and their recent models replaces the standard controller with WiFi enabled control via mobile app.

The old models that comes with a controller are selling cheap - wanted to reach out here to see if anyone has own one of their wavemaker and like to share the good and the bad. I've heard that their newer models that have the WiFi capability can give problems for some to connect.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have been using 2 SLW20M wavemakers for 2 years now. The only other powerhead I would consider are the Ecotech Vortech pumps. The convenience of wireless wet side looks appealing, especially when cleaning pumps.

Otherwise, no other powerhead makes sense. Jebao pumps are really good, they do not break like they did 5-10 years back. Quite as any powerhead can be, and the mobile app is pretty good. The only way the mobile app can improve is by providing an option to cap max flow in random mode. I connect them to my 5ghz WiFi and they have never disconnected/had any network issues.

If you are buying them, buy from AliExpress. The price is significantly cheaper. They come in a generic foam packaging when ordered through AliExpress, but the price makes up for it. I highly recommend the WiFi versions. ELW is the newest line of Jebao wavemakers.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using 2 SLW20M wavemakers for 2 years now. The only other powerhead I would consider are the Ecotech Vortech pumps. The convenience of wireless wet side looks appealing, especially when cleaning pumps.

Otherwise, no other powerhead makes sense. Jebao pumps are really good, they do not break like they did 5-10 years back. Quite as any powerhead can be, and the mobile app is pretty good. The only way the mobile app can improve is by providing an option to cap max flow in random mode. I connect them to my 5ghz WiFi and they have never disconnected/had any network issues.

If you are buying them, buy from AliExpress. The price is significantly cheaper. They come in a generic foam packaging when ordered through AliExpress, but the price makes up for it. I highly recommend the WiFi versions. ELW is the newest line of Jebao wavemakers.
Thanks for the info - I didn't know about their ELW version, which apparently can be accessed and controlled from anywhere if needed. A bit much more $$, but an option.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mow-3 and it was good but was very direct. I tried an ELW-3 (nero like) and it is TINY but powerful and the spread was pretty wide. I settled on a Ecp-50m gyre and it is perfect. All this was in a 15g as well. I used smart models for all and it's really not necessary, I just like the option.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Jebao powerheads and gyres for 5 years now. Some stop working after a couple years, some are still working fine. All of them need regular cleaning just like every other powerhead. I can afford the ecotech mp ones, but prefer to save my money for the coral. Jebao are good in my opinion.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1685810753785.jpeg

Jebao SDW-5s. 2 years, no issues.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5. 3 OW 20s 2 10's.
Clean them every two weeks. No issues.
Lost one controller in 5 years.
Cheap and reliable.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I picked up the latest model ELW from Aliexpress - doesn't say what type of power plug it is, so I had to send a note to the seller to ask. Hope this new model resolves any issues from other models...

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the AOW 9 and AOW 5 (I believe these are 2023 models, but the ones designed as of 2020 are top notch imo) and they're great. If you're not looking for something too strong I'd go for the AOW 3 or 5. Great experience and the app is also amazing. You can also turn them on and off from a special panel which it attaches to.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 15 gallon tank, make sure to get the 2 or the 4 nothing bigger. There are lots of models so trying to figure out the latest can be a challenge.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back