Jebao Weirdness?

  • Thread starter Thread starter radiata
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 2, 2015
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
781
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had something peculiar happen to me the other night when I removed a Jebao RW-15 from my show tank for cleaning. I hadn't taken one apart before, and I tried to separate the main body from the impeller cover by twisting them apart. That didn't work, so I gave up and chose to try again the next day. After I lightly dried my hands, I noticed that my palms had some significant black coloration on them, apparently from the Jebao's black plastic housing.

I experimented again this evening. I could rub some color off the RW-15 with my fingers. I tried doing it with a Tunze 6055 and could NOT rub any color off.

Has anyone else noticed this or have a similar experience?

Only possible reason I can think of is that it was manufactured with some very cheap Chinese plastic. Can anyone think of any other reason(s) why this would happen? Kind of makes me want to run a toxicity test on the pump...

All that said, I've been pretty happy with the RW-15s - they're cost effective and work nicely with my Apex and the available 3rd party interface.

Thanks in advance,
Bob
 
I have bought many jebao pumps before..currently use the rw4, 8, and 15. I have cleaned then a few times already and have not shared your experience.....fortunately.....
 
I have a pair of RW-20s that are about a year old. I clean them maybe once every 3 months but I've never had any coloration rub off that I noticed. I must admit they usually have a nice coating of coralline on them when I clean them.
 
Been using Jebaos since day one on my tank. I've never had that issue either. I clean them every month or two and sometimes have a little bit of an issue twisting then apart buy never black residue on my hands.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new