JF Flame fading

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a frag about a month and a half ago of JF Flame. I started it on the sandbed for a week and then moved it into a med-high PAR zone where it started encrusting nicely. After about 3 weeks there, I moved it to the highest PAR zone in my tank since a torch was starting to encroach (350-415) and it’s started losing pigment considerably. Given the above info, it’d be easy to assume I was just cooking it. But I’ve always been under the impression this one will take as much light as you can throw at it. I’ve moved it to the sandbed and lowered light intensity a little to hope it recovers. I’m having a few other SPS with pastel or light coloration (red planet, TSA orangescicle, yellowtips, calacali tort) while others like WD, montis, and millie’s doing fine in the high PAR.

Do you all think it’s lighting or some other issue? Info below:

Tank: IM 30g long AIO
Light: two AI Hydra HD’s running BRS AB+ reduced
Flow: stock return and MP10 on reefcrest 85-90%
Alk:7.5 dkh
CA: 420ppm
Mag: haven’t tested but usually 1350
Nitrate: 1-2
PO4: .06

One other thing to note, I discovered AEFW in my frag tank and I have transferred things over in the past. Usually I bayer dip and iodine dip before, but occasionally skipped the bayer. It’s possible some made it into the display but I haven’t dipped anything to discover yet. That’ll be my task tonight.

OP
OP
Z

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can baste the corals and see if any worms fly off to see if they are in the display without disturbing anything.
let’s see some pics, that’s the only way to really help you.
Pics under schedule and whites. Not looking too hot. There is still some yellow on the tip in blues though

54E51E27-53FC-4465-BAD6-FF5E35660E13.jpeg E557E966-BE70-4742-ADFB-31415AABE492.jpeg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame did not take well to a high position and started bleaching. I moved it down and it recovered. Never had the crazy coloration of some of the (faked) online pics. Still a nice SPS though.

OP
OP
Z

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dipped two frags with some questionable white marks on the bases in bayer, but no worms came off which is a good sign. I have notice some mexican turbos munching on the plugs and i think it might scrape the frags a little.

OP
OP
Z

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like it's browning out to me...did you have any recent nutrient spikes or drastic change to lighting?
It’s kind of both, more translucent pigment but also more brown than purple. I’ve kept nutrients up to keep dinos gone. PO4 as high as .1 but it didn’t react poorly at all. Nutrients today are NO3: 5 and PO4: .06. Only noticed this once I moved it to higher PAR.

Back