JJ's tank

Orangechicken31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd share a few pictures of what I have so far. This project had started about Feb 2017, but really started moving along just about April when I finally jump the gun on getting a new tank made. Once I paid for it, everything else just kinda followed.

Still a long way to go though, but at least it's moving along towards the right direction.

Now for the pictures.
DIY for the display tank... People were laughing due to the materials I used

Dad: "You can put a house on that and it will be fine"
Me: "I doubt you'll help me clean up in the event the stand gives up because I under built it. Better be safe than sorry" >__<
IMG_2996.JPG

Quarantine tank: I was advised by my LFS to get one going since it will help in a long run. Having to have kept a lot of reptiles, I currently have a lot of spare acrylic and glass tanks. So I just used a 50 gallon acrylic tank I have lying around.
IMG_2999.JPG

My eventual display tank: 120 gallons with overflow that I had made. Nothing fancy, just opted with the braces for safety purposes.
IMG_3037.JPG

LED strip lights that the wife bought from amazon for no purpose. I ended up just putting it to work :)
IMG_3110.JPG

A few shot of the different colors of light with the sump. I cannot wait to get some light going on the DT as well.
IMG_3156.JPG IMG_3158.JPG IMG_3146.JPG

Thank you all for looking and I will try to update the thread as I go.

Jay

IMG_3141.JPG

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first, I'd like to say welcome to Reef 2 Reef!

Looking good so far! Couple of questions...
Are you going to have dedicated power to it? If you're using an existing power outlet make sure there's hardly no other power on that same breaker. Also for safety reasons if that power outlet is behind the tank you might want to change it to a waterproof one. Salt spray can get into an impossibly water in either case it's not a safe thing you don't want to wake up in the middle of the night to your house on fire.

What lights do you have planned for it? Will you be running your controller such as Apex or reefkeeper? What type of system is this eventually going to be? Have you ever had a saltwater system before or is this your first?

OP
OP
O

Orangechicken31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dedicated power supply for it. It's located on the left side above our fire place ( can't really see it from the pictures. The outlet that you see on the picture was only used to test the LED when I installed it. The whole tank will be slid a tad more away from that outlet for the reason you just stated and will be covered since it is not really being used at all.

As for the controller, I currently have the apex Neptune that has yet to be installed. This will be my first salt water tank, tank will eventually be a mix of LPS and SPS corals with very few fish just. I have a 2 of the MP40 Vortech power heads and 2 Kessil AP700 for my lighting.

I guess I can also count myself a little lucky since I live about 5 to 10 min drive at most to 4 different LFS that specializes salt water. It really helps out to have access to things or even whenever I just want to hang out and be curious and mingle with the workers

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Jay to R2R. :)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dedicated power supply for it. It's located on the left side above our fire place ( can't really see it from the pictures. The outlet that you see on the picture was only used to test the LED when I installed it. The whole tank will be slid a tad more away from that outlet for the reason you just stated and will be covered since it is not really being used at all.

As for the controller, I currently have the apex Neptune that has yet to be installed. This will be my first salt water tank, tank will eventually be a mix of LPS and SPS corals with very few fish just. I have a 2 of the MP40 Vortech power heads and 2 Kessil AP700 for my lighting.

I guess I can also count myself a little lucky since I live about 5 to 10 min drive at most to 4 different LFS that specializes salt water. It really helps out to have access to things or even whenever I just want to hang out and be curious and mingle with the workers
All good to hear!

And I'm jealous you have so many lfs close by... my closest is 1hr10min and the quality of them is "eh" lol.

OP
OP
O

Orangechicken31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piping are all done and was finally able to put water in and try out the lights. Rock work is still in progress. I'm just glad it's moving along

IMG_3233.JPG

OP
OP
O

Orangechicken31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing too fancy... But so far everything seems to be thriving, so I may be on the right track.
9D3536A1-0B7E-4B49-8F4C-F94C721D3D8C.jpeg
64E01B14-6DC9-4C3C-9638-39F8BC35E4C0.jpeg
41C6F5E0-021A-4020-A06F-6F7C6F8CF366.jpeg
856EFCB3-1BE5-475A-A0F3-7C55DB2C45B6.jpeg
4CE6A901-3ABC-46EF-B443-2B89683D9C50.png

Back