Jmcdaniels 14g BioCube Build

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

This is my first ever Nano! I am super excited to start this process. I have put together the stand and I hope to get started on modding the tank a bit. Pics Coming soon!

I am going to change a few things around for sure.

Upgrades:
InTank media Basket replacing the bioballs
Neotherm Heater
Coralife Biocube Skimmer
Trulemen LED Strip upgrades: 1-12 inch strip- Actinic Pacific Blue. 1- 12 inch Combo 12k cool white and actinic blue combo
replacing stock pump with MJ900

What do you all think? Critiques wanted and welcome!

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these cubes, I've modded one with all the in tank products and currently run a 29 oceanic biocube with the bioballs and really like them. That being said,they always leave you wanting just a little more lol.

OP
OP
J

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It going to be fun! However the build is on hold because my 8 yr old has gave me the gift of Strep....... Gotta love kids! On a side note I did a really long interview with Sustainable Aquatics for a very interesting position. If i get it I may wait to set up the Cube until I get settled into my office. The inTank products have stellar reviews, and seem to be well made. I have the flow director kit and media basket for my 14g. Do you recommend any additional ones?

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your bioload, the tunez skimmer or the fuge basket are both great. Grats on the interview hope all goes well. They also make a light for the fuge area and it grows cheato nicely.

OP
OP
J

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the bio cube skimmer. What is this fuse basket and light? Will it fit in the back with my current intake media basket?

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They go side by side flow director- media basket-fuge basket. The light Velcro to the back over the fuge basket, lil dab of sand a small rock and a ball of cheato in the fuge, filter floss, chemi pure, carbon in the stages of your media basket. Makes for decent pod production which means less feeding ergo cleaner tank.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm can you link those? I'm having a hard time finding it.

Turns out the fuge basket is for the 29 only,you could make one but it'd be awfully packed back there. You could always toss some cheato in your top chamber of media basket and run purigen and chemipure elite. Just check mediabaskets.com under the biocube29 sections. Both the light and baskets are listed there. The corallife skimmer left me wanting more so I used the tunez, then I scrapped the skimmer completely and a good clean up crew became my best friend. Plus in this small of an environment the shrimp and crabs have less hiding space and them plus fish and coral makes for a ton of movement.

OP
OP
J

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok sounds good. I am going to have a packed back chamber already... I gotta make room for my osmolator nano too

OP
OP
J

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so I am redoing my lighting for the tank. Instead of supplementing the current lighting I am going to get a rapid Led kit for it. Also,
i piocke up the biocube uv sterilizer for a steal today so thats going in the tank as well

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the current USA orbit marine led mounted in the hood, keeps acros happy and has a remote and controller and cool weather effects.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard nothing bad about them. They get good reviews just got no experience Personally. Got any stocking ideas?

If you want something to make your tank stick out that's super easy and simple check out Aussie gold live sand. I use it and have never seen it in a tank out side my own, natures ocean makes it. Looks great with the black back of the biocube

OP
OP
J

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send me a pic of the sand? I'm wanting to really load with LPS softies and a blue maxima. Fish: neon dotty back, blue velvet damsel. Some shrimp and a pom pom crab.

All of the live stock is up in the air atill.

Nnavarro1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1439790849.738486.jpg

This is our 14 biocube my husband is currently building the stand but he built a hood and we put Chinese led lighting on it. Got rid of the bio ball and have the stock pump which will be upgraded soon, Along with a uv sterilizer added to chamber 3, chamber 2 has ceramic noodles, purigen, and phosgaurd. No need for a media basket just stack it and make a small lid for the top with holes works great. Chamber 1 holds chemi pure blue and filter floss. Then I run 2 hydor 425 with a hydor controller. No skimmer needed the tank is 2 small and I do a 10% water change once a week.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back