Stock list for a 5g pico

SaltyCabbage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a 5g Fluval sitting around for a while and have been wanting to do a barnacle blenny tank for a bit so I’ve decided to start getting gear and a stock list together.

Stock list so far

1-3 barnacle blenny

1 yellow clown goby

1 yasha goby/candy cane pistol pair

A few sexy shrimp

Usual cuc combo

Simple softies/zoas

Macro algae’s

So far equipment is

Stock pump
(Would love an upgrade suggestion!)

10w Nicrew clip on marine led

Two 3.6w 5050 blue actinic led strips

50w aqueon heater

Simple gravity water bottle ATO

10lbs live rock and 9lbs sand from Tampa Bay (not ordered yet)

A few nice sized barnacle clusters

Will be doing weekly 1g water changes as my main nutrient export as well as adding macro algae’s if needed.

I know this sounds packed but I’m open to critiques and suggestions!

Thank you and happy reefing!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably one fish to be honest, that tank is tiny because in reality you probably have more like 3.5 gallons for display. I would say a clown goby or watchmen is probably it, blennies can be more active and probably wont like that size tank in my opinion. If you go with the goby/shrimp pair (probably be okay in this tank due to their nature of just hiding in their hole) dont put the sexy shrimp in, that pistol will have some very expensive snacks! I honestly wouldnt do a blenny in that size tank

OP
OP
SaltyCabbage

SaltyCabbage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably one fish to be honest, that tank is tiny because in reality you probably have more like 3.5 gallons for display. I would say a clown goby or watchmen is probably it, blennies can be more active and probably wont like that size tank in my opinion. If you go with the goby/shrimp pair (probably be okay in this tank due to their nature of just hiding in their hole) dont put the sexy shrimp in, that pistol will have some very expensive snacks! I honestly wouldnt do a blenny in that size tank
Pick one of the three fish, maybe 2. 5 gallons is so small. I have a 14g AIO and once its filled and all is said it holds about 9 gallons of water.

A yasha shrimp pair would be fun.
Thank you both for the quick reply!

I’ll stick to only two fish in this tank, most likely the blennys and clown goby as I would love some sexy shrimp!

Though about the barnacle blennys most of what I’ve read says they’re pretty inactive outside of feeding or occasionally squabbling for a barnacle.

Would they be to active for a tank this small? I definitely wouldn’t toss a bicolor in here but I’m only considering these as I thought they were pretty inactive and stuck inside they’re hides most of the day.

I do appreciate your help and if they won’t work no stress there’s always time for another tank down the road!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the quick reply!

I’ll stick to only two fish in this tank, most likely the blennys and clown goby as I would love some sexy shrimp!

Though about the barnacle blennys most of what I’ve read says they’re pretty inactive outside of feeding or occasionally squabbling for a barnacle.

Would they be to active for a tank this small? I definitely wouldn’t toss a bicolor in here but I’m only considering these as I thought they were pretty inactive and stuck inside they’re hides most of the day.

I do appreciate your help and if they won’t work no stress there’s always time for another tank down the road!
Great attitude and I think you will be an excellent reefer! My blennies are pretty active, I had a bicolor who hung out in is barnacle but liked to venture out and swim around. I have a midas blenny who also sticks in his barnacle but comes out all the time to do what I call the Mo dance (his name is Mo). Ive had two lawnmower blennies and boy do they like to “swim” from rock to rock! Looks more like jumping. If you got a super small blenny like a tail spot that might be okay. Clown gobies are cute as heck too!

danielm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've an IM 15 with about 15lbs of live rock. I tried to follow the 1lbs/gal recommendation I've found when searching about how much rock to use. The rock takes about half of my display section. Based on my own experience, 10lbs for 5gal might be too much.

OP
OP
SaltyCabbage

SaltyCabbage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the suggestions and advice! I think the plan is to stick to one clown goby and I’m going to try one of the barnacle blennys (Acanthenblemaria macrospilus). Will also drop the amount of liverock to around 7lbs.

I have a few extra 10g/20g aquariums so if I notice they’re too active outside of their barnacles I’ll have a 20g ready for them with the extra live rock and barnacle clusters.

Will make the build thread as soon as I order the rock and get everything together!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back