Joculator Angel

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, im trying to find a little more info on Joculator Angel fish, i don't beliece they are the most reef safe and are know to pick at LPS but i know a few keep them. Is there any secrates to keeping one? also any info on them as in whats the min tank size they can be kept in? Any info on these little fishie's would be great help.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mpoletti here on R2R has a pair ... hopefully he can share some advice!

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, i envy him so much, i would love to own one. Im just not sure that a 90g will be bigg enough. Also i would hate to spend the 600-700 on one and it eat a thousand dollars in LPS/zoas before i catch it. Then what do i do not every one is in the market for such a high end fish.

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not the only one around here that has a pair; so does Brad.

Do they nip my SPS, yes
Do they nip my LPS, yes ( I only have chalices and favias)
Do they nip my zoas/palys. somewhat, but I removed mine from my display.
Do they eat corals; none of the ones I have
Can they get aggressive, yes ( and not just from my experience)

If you aren't willing to spare the corals and/or the fish, then don't take the risk. I personally like to take the risks from time to time ;)

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 90 could house a single, and personally I wouldn't hesitate to keep a pair in a 90. "Fleshy LPS" and zoas are fair game.

Not really any secrets, once acclimated to captivity they tend to be a very hardy fish, and will hold down their territory.

I'm sure Mark and Brad will add :nerd:

EDIT: Mark beat me to the post button ;)

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do they nip my SPS, yes

If you aren't willing to spare the corals and/or the fish, then don't take the risk. I personally like to take the risks from time to time ;)

Did they nip at Zoas? Also i only have chalices and favias to how do you stop them from munching on oh lets say one of you rare colonys that we know you have? Have you ever come home to a piece missing? Also do you think a 90g will be fine for one for now? Lastly what is your feeding schedual? Sorry for all the questions, im just thinking about the risk and might take the jump....

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh you people are making me want to try to find one or two. If I do though i think i will at the end of the summer due to i'm not home as much in the summer and this will be my last summer like this. I feel as if i stuff as much food down there throat i they might not pick as much.

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I forgot about Brad's! I guess yours are just more memorable with the Joc-u-lator!

Thanks for bringing a smile to my face :D I still ask Emma what her favorite fish are and she still says "joc-u-lator: :angel:

racerw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do they nip my SPS, yes

Taking risk is what it is all about. My Jocs are very well behaved
I say go for it!!!!

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh you people are making me want to try to find one or two. If I do though i think i will at the end of the summer due to i'm not home as much in the summer and this will be my last summer like this. I feel as if i stuff as much food down there throat i they might not pick as much.

I do not believe in that philosophy. A fish, that naturally nips, is going to nip no matter what IMO/IME ;)

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they nip at Zoas? Also i only have chalices and favias to how do you stop them from munching on oh lets say one of you rare colonys that we know you have? Have you ever come home to a piece missing? Also do you think a 90g will be fine for one for now? Lastly what is your feeding schedual? Sorry for all the questions, im just thinking about the risk and might take the jump....

Define munching :D

No missing pieces, they are more of rock grazers, aka polyp nippers. Yes they nipped at my PPE colony that was still in the tank. Its now in the shallow tank with my other zoas/palys.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MAYBE this will give me reason to set up a second tank inorder to hold anything it may NIP at, Then with all high end Z and P's. I think you guys have me getting one. I think the most nerve racking is going to be if i get them if they are going to take my little collection as a buffet

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark any GOOD photo's of yours? i have never seen one in person and it has been a long time since i saw one and fell in love. I recall the one where it was in your palm was love at first sight for me.

dfladermaus

Mad Scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 90 could house a single, and personally I wouldn't hesitate to keep a pair in a 90. "Fleshy LPS" and zoas are fair game.

Not really any secrets, once acclimated to captivity they tend to be a very hardy fish, and will hold down their territory.

I'm sure Mark and Brad will add :nerd:

EDIT: Mark beat me to the post button ;)

I have one in my 180 SPS tank, doesnt nip at anything, but at its size, there is NO way it would fit in a 90g let alone a pair. My fully grown Joc is upwards of 5" and is a hefty big boy. I would no recommend one for under 120, and a pair in no less than 180-200g.

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All pygmy angels nip (unless they are captive bred) so thats that. Corals can take a lot more that people give them credit for.

Saying that, if you tank is filled with a bunch of tiny frags, the nipping might be too much for them to handle. I've only had a few (under 5) corals that the jocs could not resist ;)

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 180 SPS tank, doesnt nip at anything, but at its size, there is NO way it would fit in a 90g let alone a pair. My fully grown Joc is upwards of 5" and is a hefty big boy. I would no recommend one for under 120, and a pair in no less than 180-200g.

5". Thats as big as they get, in fact, thats the biggest one I have ever heard of in captivity. How long have you had it?

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does any one concur with this statment? If one can't fit in a 90 i doubt i'll be getting one.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back