Jolly Roger's 29 gallon reef tank

jollyrogerreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all! This is going to be my build log/tank progression thread for my new 29 gallon display/10 gallon sump project. Currently running a modded fluval evo 13.5, which while getting me into and helping me learn the hobby, I would like an upgrade. My original idea was to save up for a red sea reefer 170 for my 40th birthday gift to myself(next year) but my wife made the suggestion of why wait? So I decided to diy myself a similar setup with similar water volume and space(the two reasons why I am not fond of the evo).

First task was drilling a tank for the 3/4 inch return bulkhead and Eshopps S overflow. First tank was gifted to me from a friend, but found out it was tempered, so after shattering that I successfully drilled a new aqueon from petco. Drilling was not at all what I expected, alot easier then I had in my mind. Installed overflow and bulkhead with some silicone after plasti-dipping the back side of the tank(i did remove the overflow and install the bulkheads properly after realizing they don't fit once its on the tank, oops).

Next was designing and building the stand... Messed around with tinkercad.com for about a week, brother in law helped me cut the wood with his miter saw, build the stand at home and gave it a water weight test. This was by the far the most stressful part of the project, it was either going to go well, or hours of cleaning glass of the deck. Ended up being successful, at which point I moved onto the paneling. Ended up doing a base coat of white, sanding it, wood stain, and a couple of coats of water proofing. Wife was very happy with how it turned out and complimented it a few times!

Next was the rock work which is my personal peeve of my current tank. I didn't like how i simply stacked rock in my evo. Marco rock seems to be a crowd fave, and with the BRS super glue, accelerator and some E-Marco motar I spent a weekend playing around with ideas and finally settled on a tree with multiple platforms at different heights so they all should get different par and flow in the future. Also saving some for the bottom as well as the sump for more surface area.

The latest step as been working on the plumbing which was fairly enjoyable. Glad I looked at it in depth before hand and got some extra 90s and a gate valve. I tried to leave room on the return section in case I want to add a manifold in the future. Last thing I've done was label the open/close on the valve and primary/emergency and return line for the tank sitter and/or wife in case something happens in the future.

This is where the project currently sits until I get the required items to get the tank wet. Going with the Fiji Cube Baffle Kit for the sump sections, and a Sicce 2.0 for the return, and plan on getting the cycle started the week after Christmas. I have not finalized the overflow heights as I want to see what the water level in the sump turns out to be. Also want to see how much water the sump can hold if the power goes out, I'm estimating there will be room for about 3 gallons extra with my planned 8" water height.

Started this project around mid October of this year(2021) so I have about a month before it gets wet, I just wanted to share this project with people who would appreciate it, my wife and co workers are great to talk to, but in the end you need to share with people who understand! Its been fun, learned a few skills I would have otherwise never bothered with. Looking forward to moving my critters into a new home I built myself!

IMG_4316.jpg IMG_4350.jpg IMG_4351.jpg IMG_4354.jpg IMG_4370.jpg IMG_4375.jpg IMG_4376.jpg IMG_4408.jpg IMG_4409.jpg IMG_4410.jpg IMG_4415.jpg 65861301316__095FE9FC-C2CB-4441-B124-69D53365BAE0.jpg IMG_4464.jpg 65915818419__74DC7046-6DD7-4630-8AFC-7C619DC8AEC0.jpg IMG_4499.jpg IMG_4501(1).jpg IMG_4518.jpg IMG_4521.jpg

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all! This is going to be my build log/tank progression thread for my new 29 gallon display/10 gallon sump project. Currently running a modded fluval evo 13.5, which while getting me into and helping me learn the hobby, I would like an upgrade. My original idea was to save up for a red sea reefer 170 for my 40th birthday gift to myself(next year) but my wife made the suggestion of why wait? So I decided to diy myself a similar setup with similar water volume and space(the two reasons why I am not fond of the evo).

First task was drilling a tank for the 3/4 inch return bulkhead and Eshopps S overflow. First tank was gifted to me from a friend, but found out it was tempered, so after shattering that I successfully drilled a new aqueon from petco. Drilling was not at all what I expected, alot easier then I had in my mind. Installed overflow and bulkhead with some silicone after plasti-dipping the back side of the tank(i did remove the overflow and install the bulkheads properly after realizing they don't fit once its on the tank, oops).

Next was designing and building the stand... Messed around with tinkercad.com for about a week, brother in law helped me cut the wood with his miter saw, build the stand at home and gave it a water weight test. This was by the far the most stressful part of the project, it was either going to go well, or hours of cleaning glass of the deck. Ended up being successful, at which point I moved onto the paneling. Ended up doing a base coat of white, sanding it, wood stain, and a couple of coats of water proofing. Wife was very happy with how it turned out and complimented it a few times!

Next was the rock work which is my personal peeve of my current tank. I didn't like how i simply stacked rock in my evo. Marco rock seems to be a crowd fave, and with the BRS super glue, accelerator and some E-Marco motar I spent a weekend playing around with ideas and finally settled on a tree with multiple platforms at different heights so they all should get different par and flow in the future. Also saving some for the bottom as well as the sump for more surface area.

The latest step as been working on the plumbing which was fairly enjoyable. Glad I looked at it in depth before hand and got some extra 90s and a gate valve. I tried to leave room on the return section in case I want to add a manifold in the future. Last thing I've done was label the open/close on the valve and primary/emergency and return line for the tank sitter and/or wife in case something happens in the future.

This is where the project currently sits until I get the required items to get the tank wet. Going with the Fiji Cube Baffle Kit for the sump sections, and a Sicce 2.0 for the return, and plan on getting the cycle started the week after Christmas. I have not finalized the overflow heights as I want to see what the water level in the sump turns out to be. Also want to see how much water the sump can hold if the power goes out, I'm estimating there will be room for about 3 gallons extra with my planned 8" water height.

Started this project around mid October of this year(2021) so I have about a month before it gets wet, I just wanted to share this project with people who would appreciate it, my wife and co workers are great to talk to, but in the end you need to share with people who understand! Its been fun, learned a few skills I would have otherwise never bothered with. Looking forward to moving my critters into a new home I built myself!

IMG_4316.jpg IMG_4350.jpg IMG_4351.jpg IMG_4354.jpg IMG_4370.jpg IMG_4375.jpg IMG_4376.jpg IMG_4408.jpg IMG_4409.jpg IMG_4410.jpg IMG_4415.jpg 65861301316__095FE9FC-C2CB-4441-B124-69D53365BAE0.jpg IMG_4464.jpg 65915818419__74DC7046-6DD7-4630-8AFC-7C619DC8AEC0.jpg IMG_4499.jpg IMG_4501(1).jpg IMG_4518.jpg IMG_4521.jpg
wow, nice build. probably one of the nicest overflow setups/organizations ive seen as well as the aquascape. can't wait to see updates!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back