OP
JPK

JPK

Always learning from others
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I saw the leveling feet and for sure, the stand is very well done. Worth it for sure.
I see more and more people having a very open scape with less and less live rock. So I keep wondering how much replacement is needed in the sump to keep the nutrients in check. Thanks for answering.

I took down and sold my system as I needed to move countries. Since then it was not possible to start again but i have a tank and stand ready at home to restart as soon as we settle down.
For now, i am enjoying others tanks and try to keep up with the new inventions in automation.
Ah, ya I would image moving your tank to a different country would be a tad difficult to say the least.

Opening up the scape and limiting dead zones seemed like the way to go. I could not believe how much detritus was under my rocks when I took down my office tank, hopefully the little feet I put on my base rock will eliminate that. We will see if all the live rock rubble and other media I have in my sump will work, I think it will.. Plus I have established rock in my wife's tank as well, which is connected.

I look forward to seeing your build thread when you get back up and running!

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while since I updated this build, life has been busy, The system has had its ups and downs, but it's hanging there and continuing to mature.

I have seen signs of termites here and there in my house, and have finally moved from the denial phase to the, "I guess I should do something" phase. I had a termite guy come by and it looks like we are past the spot treating stage and will have to tent, which is horrifying to me. I have been selling of my extra frags and will begin the process of moving all the live stuff out of my house into a 4'x4'x4' bin in my neighbor's garage. I will also make duplicate frags of my favorite corals and keep them at the LFS just in case things don't go well. I am still trying to figure out if I can just cover and seal everything else, or if I should move my frag tank and sump out as well... such a pain.

As far as updates go, I just added 2 Radion XR30 G6s to my frag tank, since one of the G4s lighting it died and another one was beginning to make weird noises. I have added a few other things, like a neck cleaner for my skimmer and have been running Kalk to try to keep the PH more stable.

Here are some updated pics

IMG_E9814.JPG

5' x 3' x 20" Display

IMG_E9817.JPG

Frags.JPG

4'X24"X12" frag tank

IMG_E9797.JPG

BC Teenwolf my main colony didn't make it, but my last remaining frag has been growing into a mini colony

IMG_E9796.JPG

BC Aquatic man table growing out of its frag plate

IMG_E9800.JPG

WWC Wow Acro looking fuzzy

IMG_E9821.JPG

BC Frankenberry

IMG_E9826.JPG

Gonzo Blueberry Diesel

IMG_E9825.JPG

BC Spacelaser

IMG_E9802.JPG

BC bubblebath unicorn encrusted the entire frag plate and finally decided it can shoot out some branches

IMG_E9823.JPG

TSA Bill Murray starting to shed the green and looking more orange

IMG_E9791.JPG

IMG_E9805.JPG

BC Cricket spine and frags

Confetti mother.JPG

Vivid Confetti - I almost threw this thing a way on several occasion. It was just looking horrible. It finally appears to be turning the corner (I don't want to jinx it). it has polyps again, not nearly as many as it used to, and has some new growth on the upper portion of the pic (the blue looking branches)

Pinky Large.JPG

Lots of Pinky the bear

Zuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome DT and "Frag" tank!

Curios what lighting and supplements, if any, you use for the frag tank?

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome DT and "Frag" tank!

Curios what lighting and supplements, if any, you use for the frag tank?
Thanks Zuma. The DT and frag tank are connected. I dose BRS Alk, CA. Kalk and Part C. I am running some of the moonshiners reef Minor and Trace elements, I am waiting on a ICP to get things back into recommended levels. Other than that I just feed a mix of frozen food I make up that has some powdered coral food and aminos mixed in.

The frag tank has 2 Radion G6 XR30 blues (kind of wish I went with pros), which replaced 3 XR30 G4s. There is a XHO reef brite and 4 T5s over the frag tank as well, however the T-5s are only of for 4 hours at the peak of the day.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a pain. I hope all goes well.
Good luck

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Janci, me too!! Did you get your reef running again?
Not yet. We are still on the move.
We have been in Manila for 1 year and now going to live in Abu Dhabi for 2 years.
That is still not long enough to start a reef tank.
Probably after that we settle and I can start dreaming again.

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet. We are still on the move.
We have been in Manila for 1 year and now going to live in Abu Dhabi for 2 years.
That is still not long enough to start a reef tank.
Probably after that we settle and I can start dreaming again.
Makes sense, sounds like you are living is some cool places with access to reefs locally to hold you over..

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received this great LLS holder from Matt at Octo Aquatics @cromag27
My sump has a eurobrace which made it difficult to mount, until now

this was my ghetto technology
7E93F496-17B9-4C46-BAAF-EA1CDB17AB90.jpeg

New and improved!!
DF48B1D2-C2C2-4D79-9C29-939A0A9BD029.jpeg

D5C14BF4-0CFF-440F-A909-94C0C5AF7724.jpeg

211B1540-E595-4AF8-9672-3D216EE731EB.jpeg

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man. I just looked up some of your old threads / pics. Looks like you know what you're doing and have some awesome looking SPS. Are you still in the hobby? Curious how your tank is coming along. Hope the termite situation went alright = /

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back