JR's first saltwater 55 gal build

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by ohlero, Mar 14, 2019.

1. ohlero

ohlero Member

I picked up a used 55 gal tank in pretty rough shape the acrylic was scratched up pretty bad but I was able to buff it out. It has a wet dry sump that I'm converting I just bought a 10gal tank so I'm going to get a bulkhead from BRS and drill the wet dry sump and run a drain pipe into the 10 gal tank. This will give me room for a skimmer and a refug. I don't know if I'm going to go live or dead rock the lfs has live rock for $3.99 a pound. What's everyone's opinions on the rock. I'm looking to get 65 lbs and a RODI system. Then I'll clean my tank with vinegar and water and start the cycle. IMG_20190310_201132939.jpg IMG_20190310_201139615.jpg tank.jpg tank.jpg

TitanCi and Sean Fitz like this.
    Tags:

2. BestMomEver

BestMomEver Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

Pretty!

3. Sean Fitz

Sean Fitz Member

Dry rock is easier to aquascape and epoxy together and what not, but $3.99 a pound is cheap, even if that were for dry rock... plus it will cycle faster if already alive. I used both, dry rock for the base structure, adding some choice live rock toppers a couple weeks into cycling to seed the rest with the good stuff.

Good luck with your build!!

4. ohlero

ohlero Member

Thanks

5. ohlero

ohlero Member

So I'm planning on getting it into the cycle very soon, My plan is to buy the live rock, live sand, salt, refractometer, test kit, RODI system, heater, and complete my sump set up. I'm going to reuse the return pump I have now and replace it before I put fish in and keep it as a backup. Is this a good plan for the minimal about of things to get the tank up and running. Then before I put fish in ill add my skimmer, heater monitor, down the road ill add bio plates, and set up the refug. What's everybody's thoughts on this plan and am I missing anything?

6. ohlero

ohlero Member

I forgot to add I'll put a power head/ wave maker after the tank cycles

Draft saved Draft deleted