JT's 40G Cube Build

UncleJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this 24x24x16" (LxWxH) aquarium about a year ago with the intention of setting it up much sooner but it was never to be. About a month ago, I was finally able to dig it out of storage and build a stand for it.

I still need a Zeovit Reactor, substrate, salt, and test kits before I make it wet but it's finally coming together. It'll probably be another month though. :squigglemouth:

This week, I plan on building the lighting and finishing the plumbing if my Oceans Motions device arrives. Lighting will be 49 3W Cree LED's; 28 XP-E Premium Royal Blue, 14 XP-E Premium Cool White, and 7 XP-G 6500K's.

As you can see below, minimal stand construction. I do not plan on skinning it, it's fine for a bachelor like me. I built the stand slightly larger to accommodate a large sump.

2ev9kk3.jpg

OP
OP
U

UncleJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

Small update: Today, I received a 22"x10" heatsink from HeatsinksUSA to which I will be mounting the 49 3W Cree XP-E and XP-G LEDs. I didn't want to mess around with rigging it to hang from my flimsy ceiling but I do have shelving behind the tank so I fabricated some L-channels from scrap 1x1 and 1x2 wood I had laying around, secured them to the shelf above the tank, and now the heatsink has a solid place to sit. The heatsink is currently 13" above the waterline and allows me easy access anywhere inside the tank. It's kind of "ghetto" but it'll work just fine.

2nq8f0n.jpg

24e80me.jpg

Last edited:

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey jt setup is looking good so far!

OP
OP
U

UncleJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little bit annoyed today. :cry:

A few minutes ago, I received my shelf rock order from Marco Rocks. I was hoping for a good size piece so I specified I was looking for a maximum size of 16"x16". As I was walking into the fish room with the box, I noticed the size of the box was a 10" cube and I said to myself "self, this doesn't look good". Opening the box, I found five pieces of rock. The largest piece was 12"x9" which would have been perfect but it was now broken as it was placed diagonally in the small 10" box and sandwiched between other heavier pieces of rock. I now have a bunch of 6" to 9" pieces which aren't going to work for how I wanted to aquascape.

My quest for perfect rock continues. I sent Marc an email advising him that the box was too small. I realize shelf rock is very fragile, I was a rock dealer myself for many years. However, had whoever in Florida packed this for him used a bigger box, this 12"x9" piece might have made it.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah most of my shelf rock got busted i used the mortar i bought to stick them back together and make a large one where i needed it..... just a thought i don't know if you bought that or not...:(

OP
OP
U

UncleJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a thought i don't know if you bought that or not...:(
Yeah, I didn't get any mortar as I had planned on using nylon rods and nuts as I am more familiar with this technique.

However, Marc is proving to be a stand-up guy and is taking care of me. He just had his guy in Florida call me to say they are sending out one big piece of shelf for me and it will be packed better this time. So all will be well soon, just need to wait a few more days.

OP
OP
U

UncleJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My OceansMotions 2-way Squirt finally arrived today so I will be able to finish plumbing soon but it's almost 100 degrees here today in the NorthEast, and quite humid, so I might hold off until later tonight or this weekend when it's cooler.

Some of my LEDs also arrived today but the Premium Blues were backordered. However, I can get started now with the 14 Cool Whites that came in today.

OP
OP
U

UncleJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This OM 2-way Squirt looks like it's going to be a nice piece of gear.

2z6t5w6.jpg

OP
OP
U

UncleJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, weeeee, plumbing is fun.. or it's the fumes that make it seem that way. :tongue:

14ayg6e.jpg

1986com

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice im getting lots of great idea from you guys thank you so much great build

OP
OP
U

UncleJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting for some final plumbing bits and more LED parts to arrive so I figured I'd play with some aquascape ideas. Here's a small bommie with overhang I am especially fond of, I just need to find a way to secure it all together now.

It measures 19" long by 12" wide (at its longest and widest parts) and stands 8" tall. It is a mixture of Marco Rocks and some Fiji I have been drying out for a year.

21ceg43.jpg

14y282c.jpg

2chw7pf.jpg

Goobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the red acrylic on the sump. Makes it look clean.

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
REALLY NICE build JT.. great professionalism and hats off to you in taking your time to do it the way you know best.. Alot better than rushing and getting something you may regret someday..
keep it up

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back