Judgment call on dying torch/BJD

Tabbers920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so I have a purple torch with 2 heads dying/ dead with 2 recovering.
One of the dead has a white cap over the top. Lfs said that's the dying flesh and has bacteria in it, so which could spread to the whole tank and cause brown jelly disease.

A) Do I frag the 2 dead heads and put back in it's spot

B) Do I remove the entire piece to not risk BJD?

I have 3 other torch corals, 3 octospawn, 1 frogspawn, 3 hammers

20220219_105051.jpg 20220219_105059.jpg 20220219_105118.jpg

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d pull them. My wife loves torches. We went through about $2k including the first Dragon Soul Atomic whatever that went from 2 heads to 20 then melted. Everyone after that did the same.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d pull them. My wife loves torches. We went through about $2k including the first Dragon Soul Atomic whatever that went from 2 heads to 20 then melted. Everyone after that did the same.
Hoping that $2k is a trade name for a coral and not prices...(e.g. $500 efflo) but I know that it isn't...

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Sorry about your torch....I have to vote to pull it too. Although if you are careful, the iodine dip could work. You just don't want anything spreading to your healthy corals!

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man! Do you know why you lost those torches? I know I lost a huge Dragon Soul when I was on vacation and my Alk dropped to 7.9....I keep it 9.5-10 and manually does. Obviously it was long time ago and I didn't dose 2 part back then. Expensive lesson learned!

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown jelly disease isn't really a disease, or at least not a single one. For some reason we differentiate it from "RTN" in SPS corals but it's the same process. The coral is being overpowered by some form of bacteria or microorganism. Such things are always present and asymptomatic but they can overtake corals when their stress is high in the same way fish diseases can suddenly show up after a while in fish that are stressed during a power outage or something. I would remove the obviously dead heads because it might give the coral a head start in fighting the infection but the risk of it spreading throughout the tank if you don't seems overblown to me. If these invisible pests wanted to spread they've had ample opportunity not just in our tanks but in all the holding tanks and propagation houses and stores, not to mention on the reefs they come from. Nobody treats for these pests at all like we do with fishes, and all the classic coral strains that have been in and out of these holding tanks have also been in and out of dozens of peoples' systems already.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back