Julian Sprung: Is the aquarium hobby controversial? How do we unite and prosper? | MACNA 2019

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Witchking330

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't quite sure how to take what he was saying. He sounded very AC/DC...I understand that it was probably just him presenting facts but couldn't get a read on him.

U

User1

View Badges
I found the presentation interesting. Much like politics around the world today, and I do mean the world, I personally believe we are not ready to have these sorts of conversations yet. I think most people understand that humans on earth, the population in general, impacts Mother Earth. Everything goes South though when politics, scientist, activists, survival, and of course the mighty dollars or whatever flavor of currency associated with it.

A few things caught my attention.

Collectors
Wall comment
Aquaculture
Captive raise, bred, fish and corals
Credit
Love letter to family members (my recommendation below)

And lastly names of corals

I won't go into why these caught my attention but they did and they do actually daily be it here or other forums I frequent. I found this presentation interesting because of some of the topics and hot buttons they can trigger. Of those that caught my attention the one that stands out (after just doing this myself actually) is the taking care of corals that could outlive the hobbyist.

I call this a love letter to my family. This isn't something I coined but rather my financial adviser. She is amazing. Any to my point she asked if I had a Will or anything documenting how to handle my affairs should something take me out be it health, stupidity, or Godzilla. I said no so she proceeded to hand me a pretty thick packet of paper to review should I choose to use her services. Thinks like account information, investments, and other things we would expect. The one thing extra though was around hobbies and/or possible pets. A client of theirs had a parrot which some have long life spans so you can imagine what if, right?

Anyway my point to this and maybe the tl;dr version which I hope seconds what the presenter commented on is this. Keep a list of the tanks inhabitants and should you have something that could live a long time, or is difficult to care for, document it. Also include who could take it in should something happen. Public aquarium, hobbyists, estimated price should you sell, donate, etc. Corals, clams, etc can live longer than us and should something happen, God forbid, spending a day to document could help.

Again - ty for the presentation. Good speaker also btw - clear delivery and easy to understand.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back