Keeping up with an aqua-genarian: How old is the oldest fish that you have kept?

How old is the oldest fish that you have kept?

• Less than 2 years.

Votes: 41 14.2%
  • 2-5 years.

Votes: 96 33.3%
  • 6-10 years.

Votes: 75 26.0%
  • 11-15 years.

Votes: 40 13.9%
  • 16-20 years.

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • Over 20 years.

Votes: 20 6.9%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keeping up with an aqua-genarian: How old is the oldest fish that you have kept?

Some fish complete a full life span in a few months and other fish can live over a hundred years. Typically, a fish that lives for 15-20 years in an aquarium has lived a very full, long life such as the 20-year-old clownfish in the accompanying picture that belongs to an R2R member, Andre Takahashi. Of course, the species of fish matters significantly to their life span as well as the care and companions. Many times, we may not know the exact age of the fish in our care because we didn’t receive them when they were young, but we may be able to estimate or at least in many cases know how long we have cared for the fish. How old is the oldest fish that you have kept? Do you have any tips to share that may be helpful for extending the life of a fish such as the food, water temperature, or some other factor? If so, let us know in the related discussion!

Takahashi_ROTM4.jpeg

Photo by @Andre_Takahashi; Reef of the Month January 2024

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner1.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffy is my oldest fish. I’ve had him for almost five years, and he was about 5” long when I got him. He has been through ich, velvet, and flukes. Even got accidentally pulled out of the tank onto the floor when he bit my finger and latched on while feeding. :grinning-face-with-sweat: Tough as nails. My buddy Big Puffs!
84.jpeg

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have a clownfish that's older than my oldest child, she's 17. I also have a yellow tang that is likely 15ish years old. I don't recall exsctly when I got it, but it has definitely been well over a decade ago.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current Ocellaris clown is my oldest SW fish, I've had him for 12 years, and he's outlived his mate by balf that, she had to be euthanized after a bout with an intestinal parasite. Guess that probably makes him a her now.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female clownfish named Vegas is 10! Rescued her a couple months ago when she was surrendered by the owner who had her since she was a baby.

Attachments

• IMG_3106.jpeg
    IMG_3106.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 64

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Puffy is my oldest fish. I’ve had him for almost five years, and he was about 5” long when I got him. He has been through ich, velvet, and flukes. Even got accidentally pulled out of the tank onto the floor when he bit my finger and latched on while feeding. :grinning-face-with-sweat: Tough as nails. My buddy Big Puffs!
84.jpeg
Hi Puffy! Hewbie says hi and that you are adorable! :star-struck: How big of a tank is he in?
IMG_1477.jpeg

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My darwin ocellaris clown pair was around 2" when I got them from one of the LFS near me. They were a trade in and already bonded so were for sale as a pair only. I picked them up as my first salt water fish in 2017. From what I've researched, 2" clowns are at least 2 years old, and Ive had them for 7. They are about 3 and 4" now.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oldest currently a Magnificent Foxface at 5 years old.
IMG_8182.jpeg

However, altogether my oldest fish I’ve ever had was probably a 10 year old Coral Beauty. Not the best photo as he passed in 2019 during a tank transfer.
IMG_8506.jpeg

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clownfish that's older than my oldest child, she's 17. I also have a yellow tang that is likely 15ish years old. I don't recall exsctly when I got it, but it has definitely been well over a decade ago.
I have one sole clownfish which is also older than both my children, I rescued her from my friends dads sump as she couldn’t go back in the main display due to a pair of maroons, this was around ten years ago.
I call her Maleficent and she does bite the hand that feeds her lol

image.jpg

Last edited:

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back