Keeping up with an aqua-genarian: How old is the oldest fish that you have kept?

How old is the oldest fish that you have kept?

• Less than 2 years.

Votes: 41 14.2%
  • 2-5 years.

Votes: 96 33.3%
  • 6-10 years.

Votes: 75 26.0%
  • 11-15 years.

Votes: 40 13.9%
  • 16-20 years.

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • Over 20 years.

Votes: 20 6.9%

• Total voters

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have fish but this little guy is 1,5yo!
- At lest to me is the longest time I could track a single hermit crab in an aquarium.
20230128_121102.jpg

He first joined in the WW1 of my tank against diatoms and he won a medal.
VideoCapture_20240108-130151.jpg

He was here during remarkable events like the total solar eclipse which lasted 1 week and killed all hair algaes.

He work his claws to the bones everyday and likes to sleep in his confortable GSP pillow.
1000053385.jpg

His shell has scars from the recent encounter with the isolated and aggressive tribe of emeral crabs.

He survive already two big food crisis when all external food sources where suspend for 3 weeks - I was traveling overseas - and the big earthquake of 2023 when he braced for his life in the sandbed - I moved the bowl for a new house.

Talking about moves, here is a video when he decided to change his armor to this new calcium reinforced shell, which is his go to choice until todays day due to its aerodynamics.

And he would impress Charles Darwin, as he was the strongest survivor in the natural selection process among other 6 different hermit neighbors and he was declared the winner and the only crab to live to this date in the tank.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tink, the bigger clown in my profile pic, just turned 10. Also have a yellow tang, Daisy, who is turning 10 sometime in the next few months :)

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Big Blue (an 8 inch Hippo Tang) in my reef for 14 years. I've had Batman (a 6 inch Purple Tang) in the same reef for 15 years. And I've had Mama Fratelli (the world's meanest Tomato Clown) in my FOWLR for 17 years.

All 3 are still going strong.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently my oldest fish is 12-14 years. His name is Perky and he is a true percula clownfish. He belonged to friends of our and had long outlived all his tank mates. They kept their tank up just for him but eventually they asked me if I knew anyone who would take him. He was 10-12 years old by then. I did not know anyone so they were thinking of taking him and donating him to a lfs. I felt bad so I took him and that was probably 2+ years ago.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just lost a 16-17 year old red brittle starfish. He made it through tank upgrades, living in one of the “brutes” during upgrades. He was a very good tank mate and we miss him
Debra

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this Sailfin tang for 17 years. It made it through 2 weeks with no power during Sandy, and a few years in a very neglected tank. At this point it’s not a fish. It’s a member of the family ❤️
IMG_1438.jpeg
How did you manage the tank during the power outage?

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The oldest I had was a black percula clown. Got it as a juvenile that was maybe an inch long. I had it 17 years then had to give her to a friend as we had to move. She lived another 10 years in his tank and killed everything he put in with her.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back