July 4 Chemistry

@Randy Holmes-Farley

This was interesting, and I learned something about DIY fireworks 🙃

I'd appreciate it if you could do more chem related puzzles like this in the future 🙂
 
I hope folks had a happy fourth!

I defer to the opinions from folks who make fireworks and suggested they use a number of different chemicals to do it, but the answer I was intending was calcium! It gives an orange color.


https://www.redapplefireworks.com/blogs/we-love-fireworks/how-do-fireworks-get-their-color
I still have quite a few powdered chemicals left over. Some not safe. It’s remarkably easy to order pyrotechnic chemicals online without the faintest issue. Stuff like potassium perchlorate and other strong oxidizers. 2-3 micron aluminum… The stuff that makes the loud booms you hear in salute shells.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new