Jump from 30 to 180 - Maintenance questions

HK180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a couple years of debate, I finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade to a 180G!

While this build is ~6 months out, I'd love to hear maintenance schedules and get tips from reefers with larger systems. I'd also like to know who built your tank (I'm leaning towards a Waterbox, but not decided) and if you eventually downgraded. Thanks!

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! :D I have similar plans of 30 to 200+ a couple years out maybe once I get my house.

So.. tagging along

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also running only a 20 gallon tank atm and would jump towards a 200 gallon tank. What I was thinking of doing even before buying the tank is to have plumbing done from the tank towards the mixing station( don’t really need a a mixing station atm). Keep them automated, through this pluming I can turn on some switches and do a water change like a 100% in a day. So in a emergency situation I’m not running around like a headless chicken.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a couple years of debate, I finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade to a 180G!

While this build is ~6 months out, I'd love to hear maintenance schedules and get tips from reefers with larger systems. I'd also like to know who built your tank (I'm leaning towards a Waterbox, but not decided) and if you eventually downgraded. Thanks!
Congrats!
I pieced my system together to match my needs and kinda built it out over several months. I can not reccomend a recirculating (external) skimmer highly enough. These are outstanding on large tanks and give you more space underneath, A LOT more space.
Maintenance for me has been much like any other tank. I do water changes as needed, and adjust dosing as things grow. I run a fairly large fuge, and that makes a world of difference. Any Specific questions you have i'd be happy help out as best I can.
Whatever you go with, 2 returns/overflows is a huge plus.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back