View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.jpg

Welcome to the Reef2Reef POTM Contest - Photo of the Month
Sponsored by Avast Marine!

This month’s subject: Aiptasia

Deadline to Enter: June 25, 2017 at 11:59 pm (EST)

Prize: POTM Winner Banner, one year free Premium Membership and an Avast Marine Porthole courtesy of Avast Marin. (Note: Winners located outside the United States will be responsible for applicable shipping costs)

There are a couple new features this month. One of those is we will be featuring some helpful tips for taking pictures of our tanks. Now for the details.

How To Enter:
Entering is easy, just a few simple guidelines to follow:
  • Enter one photo, taken by you of the subject for the month before the deadline
  • Multiple entries, off subject photos, or broken image links will be disqualified
  • Entries must be submitted before the deadline
  • Photo must be taken by you, whether in a tank or in the ocean
  • You must have an avatar uploaded when you enter
  • Prior winner (within the last 6 months) are welcome to enter, but not eligible for the prizes
  • In order to qualify to win the Avast Marine Porthole you must also like the Avast Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/avast.marine/
Winner Selection:
The mod team will select the top 15 finalists and a poll will be created and posted in the Reef Discussion Forum. The Grand Prize Winner will be determined by Reef2Reef member voting. To be eligible to vote, you must have been a member for 30 days and have 25 meaningful posts. Votes by members not meeting this criteria bill be disregarded in the final count. In the case of a tie, the mod team will assist in choosing the winner. Rules, deadlines and terms are subject to change, without notice, at any time.

As this is a photography competition, and the goal is to recognize the highest quality picture, each month we will provide a few tips on capturing quality images in general, and also in aquaria specifically. We hope these prove to be useful in capturing your images.

Tip #1:
A great photo instantly grabs the attention of the causal viewer. An impactful image awakens an emotional connection with the viewer.

Tip #2:
The technical execution of your photo is of the utmost importance. The subject should seamlessly draw your attention and be in crisp, sharp focus. Pay mind to the exposure! Any touching, manipulation, or post-processing should be performed in a transparent manner and should not distract from the photo or subject.

Tip #3:
Be creative - have an original perspective that's both fresh and interesting. Recognize that the photo is also an opportunity for your own personal expression and also that of the subject when dealing with livestock.

Tip #4:
Keep the lens perpendicular to the glass for sharp images. Shooting at an angle can significantly distort the resulting image.

Tip #5:
If possible, shoot under a whiter kelvin light for truer color rendition.

Check next month's contest thread for more tips. Several articles have been written also and can be found here.

So let's get those images entered. Good luck to all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump...no one has any Aiptasia to photograph?

Armydogracing

Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it still apstasia? I hate to enter one then get blown out of the water by a fish being a pest

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it still apstasia? I hate to enter one then get blown out of the water by a fish being a pest

I thought it's apitasia too., not fish or corals. I will try to get a pic of my aiptasia if it's still in my tank

@dbl can you confirm before I get a pic?

Yes, the theme this month is Aiptasia. Although nice pictures, I've removed the first two posts.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read this thread right after I sprayed Aiptasia-X in my tank. Maybe I'll submit a picture of pink goo?

Reactions: dbl

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahhaha... next potm... ich, nice artful ich ;)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for more entries! Remember, they must be pics of aiptasia!

Reactions: dbl
OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right ladies and gentlemen, I find it hard to believe there are only two of us willing to admit we have Aiptasia and are proud enough to take a picture! It's the one time the little boogers can actually have a positive outcome, so let's see them.

Bump for more entries!!!

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8499f90ac94dd6fa8c14932c8f7a4b3e.jpg

Here's a pic of one I had posted as a bubble tip aiptasia.
Although a few thought it might be a majano, shortly after this picture it went back to the skinny tentacles.
This pic was taken right after I had treated with chemical clean. This might have been a reaction to that.
I hope it at least qualifies to be in the running.

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more entries are needed, this has to be a winner. Not only does it show Aptasia, but also the aptasia's ultimate demise as Berghia Nudi's are introduced to my tank, and after all the best aptasia picture is one foreshadowing its demise ;Joyful
IMG_7791.JPG

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more entries are needed, this has to be a winner. Not only does it show Aptasia, but also the aptasia's ultimate demise as Berghia Nudi's are introduced to my tank, and after all the best aptasia picture is one foreshadowing its demise ;Joyful
IMG_7791.JPG
I agree, no more entries please. When there were only two other pics, I felt hopeful I could eek out a third place finish. Now fourth place is looking more and more distant.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7791.JPG

Love it...I actually introduced some about a week ago. Haven't seen them since but I haven't given up hope...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back