Junior's Monster Tank Build

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Junior - It looks like you are a handy person, have you considered going "green" with your new set up? The next house that I purchase will be a ranch style home, thats for sure. My plans are to run tubular skylights over my grow out tanks. They are only about 200.00 per skylights which will be saved in electric over a short amount of time. This will allow the reef to receive tons of natural sunlight and all thats needed is actinics to supplement the natural sunlight. They are easy to install and you know the amount of growth that you would get with natural sunlight and T5 actinics, its would be insane.
I think that this might be the future of reef keeping..... I hope.
When I get to that point I will surely take tons of photos.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike youre welcome to come and get whatever you need.

reefpets - I would LOVE to do that. Unfortunately, my fish room is in the basement. No way to do it this time around. However, that is something i would do in an instant, if the opportunity ever comes.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Junior - Thats what makes it impossible for me to be able to do it as well. I have they system in my basement. But, the next home that I purchase I plan to get a ranch with a 3 car garrage. This way one of the bays can be for reef keeping and I can take the tubes directly through the roof.
Keep the pictures coming!!
Gary

Mike youre welcome to come and get whatever you need.

reefpets - I would LOVE to do that. Unfortunately, my fish room is in the basement. No way to do it this time around. However, that is something i would do in an instant, if the opportunity ever comes.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no problem, if you want to come down, we can slap it together right in the garage.

I only need to cut one cross brace, other than that, im done with it.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is getting better and better. Do you still have that router? I want to make a shelf with legs that have slots cut in them so I can raise and lower the skimmer as needed.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so, a router, a tap, some nylon screws.... I have an idea, I am sure we can work it out.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after months of planning, and figuring out what is going where, and how its all going to go together, here is (i hope) the final drawing.

There will be a large shelf over both sumps, but left it out of the drawing so the rest of the room could be seen.

Total system volume should be right around 600 gallons. Then an additional 120-150 gallons in the retail unit that im going to use for new fish, and other cool inverts that i cant keep in the display, i.e. mantis shrimp, arrow crabs, etc...

Somewhere in the mix will be an additional small QT system for corals and fish.

Probably just a couple biocubes.
fishroomblueprints.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Marv, the drawing is missing obviously a million details, but i needed to figure out the footprint of the overall system so i can start running electrical, hanging drywall etc...

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will really start coming together quick when i get a break in the weather.

everytime i start to get somewhere we get nailed with a foot of snow or freezing temps....

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man that would be exactly how I would do it if I had a fish room! Man I can't wait to see it take shape!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds good!! I am seriously going to come up some time and write it off as a business expense. :D

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 43.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 60 46.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back