Junior's Monster Tank Build

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the day has finally come. I just ordered my display tank tonight, and should have it in about a month.

The tank is a 245 gallon extra wide with Starphire front glass. The dimensions are 72" x 30" x 26" and will be built inwall in my new fish room.

Pics of the fish room build coming soon.

So far ive got the wall up, and the flooring down.

Ill be getting the stand and the cutout for the tank built in the next couple weeks, and then the fun really begins.

Stay tuned for regular updates.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds AWESOME Jr!!! The aquascaping possibilities with those dimensions are fantastic.

It will be nice to see all those corals in a place where they can really spread out and grow.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, you arent kidding. you only can see so many of them through 10" of glass. Crappy green 5/8" thick glass at that.

That sounds AWESOME Jr!!! The aquascaping possibilities with those dimensions are fantastic.

It will be nice to see all those corals in a place where they can really spread out and grow.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A local shop called Aquarium Warehouse. Ive visited there facility, and was impressed with their craftsmanship, and the price couldnt be touched by anyone.

Even with all the extra holes, it was 1/3 the price of one from miracles, and ill have it in 3-4 weeks instead of 8-12 which was a real plus.

It is miracles quality, no, is it very very nice, and built like a tank, yes.

Miracles, if one can afford it, it tough to beat, but at over $4000 for this size, it was WAY out of the question.

Sounds really cool, who is making the tank?

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, so that tank is going to run you only like 1300. That is sweet.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome Junior! Can't wait to see this bad boy up and running! ;)

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Junior! I love following your topics on here and MR. Let us know what you think of the tank when you get it. I'm still looking at having them build me a 36x36x2? tank. My buddy is ordering a 4ft tank from them next week (can't remember the dimensions).

kurbs

Zoa & Paly Luva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking forward to this one!! theres no doubt that given time - this tank will be a prime candidate for TOTM.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing further calculations on tank drain/return volumes, I canceled my order with AW.

They only install a single 10 x 5 overflow with a 1 1/2" drain, and an 1" return.

By my calculation, just to achieve 2500 GPH of water turnover, the tank would require 2 1" durso drains, and 38" of linear inches of overflows.

Having the quote being only about half that volume, I feel that their lack of knowledge in the matter to be rather concerning.

They stated that a Dart pump could be run wide open with only 3 feet of head pressure loss.

This obviously is not accurate.

I will be contacting my local perfeco dealer tomorrow when he opens to have a 72 x 36 x 27 deep dimension tank with starphire ordered.

I have seen them in person, and they are truly amazing.

This will give me even more room for fun with aquascaping, and also hold a much stronger warranty, as the AW only offers a 1 year unless its on a stand that they build.

Id like to hear your thoughts on this.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single 1.5" drain will move more water then a pair of 1" will, BUT a SINGLE 1" return will not be able to handle all the flow from a Dart. I would think that with a 2" output, the dart would need at least 4 returns to not have any restriction on the flow.

Ok, all that aside, why do you want to run that many GPH through the sump? I think the 8-900gph that I am running is pushing it.

I would think that using a few Vortechs in the tank for flow, and a 1000gph through the sump would be ideal

Ron S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advantage of running high flow to the sump is removing suspended material quicker. Should work fine if he has a large enough sump.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to move about 2500 gallons an hour through the sump.

I will have a refugium, that is hooked up remotely that will have much longer processing time, and will only have about 400-500 gph turn over it that.

Based on the calculator on Reef Central, and other larger tank owners ive talked to, a 10x turnover is what im looking for.

A single 1" durso should drain about 700 gph, and a 1 1/2" drains about 1200 gph.

I want 2, 1 1/2" drains to that it is not pushing them too hard, and thus reducing the noise. Also, i love the idea that in the event one becomes partially clogged for any reason what to ever, the crippled overflow, plus one free flowing drain should be able to keep up with no problem.

My biggest concern however is more the issue of surface skimming. with one overflow only pulling from the middle it will not remove debris as well as two in the corners.

Bottom line is, I dont like the idea of a 245 gallon tank having only 1 overflow.

I have to assume that every major tank manufacturer uses 2 or more for a reason.

I am not completely ruling anything out at this point, but i do have some concerns with a single overflow and drain.

I have to assume that a dart pumping through a single 1" return wide open would only be flowing about 40-50% at best due to back pressure.

This may be where his statement of being able to handle a dart pump wide open came from. However, my dad bought a overflow kit that is rated to handle a dart at zero head, and it has (2) 2" drains, and has a 22" x 5" footprint.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump is going to be a 100 gallon rubbermaid with a skimmer and rock. Or if i run into a super cheap 180 aquarium id use that.

Then i have a 50 gallon (36 x 18 x 18) that will be used as a remote fuge, with VDSB and macro algae(s).

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Jr, a single overflow on a tank that big sounds like a bad idea. What about an end overflow, where there is a false edge, say 6" in from the end. This would give you an overflow 30" wide x 6" deep, plenty of room for a pair of 1.5" bulkheads.

The total tank length would remain 72", but the visible part would be 68"....

Just an idea.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i to, gave that some thought, however for being a custom tank builder they dont really offer ANYTHING custom. Kinda disappointing.

I had even though of going 36 deep, and having an overflow along the whole back wall. leaving me with 32" of tank room, and a monster overflow...

However, they dont offer anything even close.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back