Junior's Monster Tank Build

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice depth man.. Can't wait to see this in action ..

Ron S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Junior can I ask how much this tank is going to run you? I have wanted one since they were announced. I want to do a pennisula style tank with they same size. You might want to watch craigslist I have seen a lot of 150-180 tanks on there as of late.

Ron

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why they wouldn't? An end overflow seems like it would be EASY, just 1 pane of glass, and it would be done!

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 72 x 30 x 26 was going to run 1350 with 4 extra holes. That was 1/2" glass and one overflow and starphire imitation front.

The perfecto, pending Jeff can hook me up, should run me $1499 for a 73 x 36 x 27, with 2 corner overflows, Starphire front, and 3/4" glass. Only bummer is it weights a half ton, and no option of having them drill the extra holes. That being said, i likely wont do a closed loop. To scary drilling an expensive new tank.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They wont even do euro bracing...they dont even cut the glass there or anything, they order the glass to size, and slap it together. Kinda lame...they have all the tools to cut large pieces of glass and they have dust covering all of them.

I wonder why they wouldn't? An end overflow seems like it would be EASY, just 1 pane of glass, and it would be done!

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stinks!

However, for that difference in price, the Perfecto tank sounds like the better deal. 3/4" glass is VERY heavy though like you said, will the Vortech even mount on 3/4"?

Ron S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price sounds good, how much extra was the starfire versus non starfire? To bad you couldn't get them to build on site.

Salt Water Crazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jr. all I can say is you now what I went threw with my tank. I now you have been thinking abought this set up for years.

The best advice I can give you is to do it once and do it right. So it does not cost you more monny, and grief in the long run.

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried contacting Glass Cages? I know their reputation is iffy depending on who you talk to.

Sort of a bummer you can't get two overflows. Blows my idea about working with them.

Salt Water Crazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and no option of having them drill the extra holes. That being said, i likely wont do a closed loop. To scary drilling an expensive new tank.

You could always go over top with a closed loop with the intake and returns.
Though it would be nice to have at least the intake drilled.

Over the top returns. (this was a real down and dirty way to do it I could have made it look a lot better with hard pluming.)
DSC01733.jpg

I am not a real fan of posting pic in other peoples build threads so once you see it JR. edit it or I will later when I now that you saw it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the official trigger today. It will arrive in 3 weeks from yesterday.

Perfecto Deep Dimension Series

72 x 36 x 27, 300 gallon, starphire front glass.

Should get the stand built in the next couple weeks.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a thought...

Still not entirely decided what im going to do with lighting, but something occurred to me...

Everyone always runs their t5's the length of the tank.

What if I were to run them perpendicular to the tank...

could you imagine how many T5's i could fit that way?!?

Not to mention eliminating any issues with shadows from the braces...

36" front to back....36" T5's....interesting concept i think...

Perhaps a combo running some both ways....

I really really like what my smaller tank looks like with the new aqua science bulbs from fauna

I think i could crank out some serious watts...

not to mention not feeling ill if i need to work in the tank for a while with the lights on...never liked working under those halides....

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DUDE!!!!

If you put a bulb every 3" that would mean 24 BULBS!!! @ 39W each... 936W! For a 72" tank that is actually not all that bad. I am sure there are tanks with higher wattage, but think of the dawn to dusk effect you could get by triggering 4 bulbs at a time, you could really ramp up and down the intensity. You would have to think of a nifty light rack that you could raise and lower, but since the tank is going to be built in, it would not have to be super pretty.

Allowing room for the wall may cause the bulbs to hang over the back a bit, but again that would not be all bad.

I think a workhorse 7 can run 4 36" bulbs, and those are only $30 or $40 dollars each right? Then the cost of endcaps and reflectors, and bulbs... I think it would be really something though.

ConcreteReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Junior-
I know putting a bunch of 36" T5 retros sounds like a good idea *but*
Cooling is going to be a big issue, killing bulb life/par & replacing 24 bulbs every 5-6 months doesn't sound fun to me. You can install fans to cool them but unless you have an acrylic cover and can duct the flow over the endcaps this cooling method is really inefficient and can be more of a hassle than its worth. Also- The added cost of an effective cooling setup plus the noise from the fans (you can get quiet fans) but the added cost is another negative

My suggestion is this-
2x 36" 10 bulb ATI powermodules
Initial cost may be a little more *but*
* The PM uses spec ballast so your bulbs will last at least 12 months
* Ducted Cooling with 1 super silent variable speed temperature controlled fan per 2 bulbs (fans are inaudible)-Unlike other mfgs that just blow air in from the sides ATI pulls air through the sides & over the endcaps, There are holes in the reflectors (right above the endcaps) that pull air up over the bulb & through the fixture (cooling the bulbs will hinder your par/bulb life). ATI is the only mfg to do this and that is why this is the best fixture on the market.
* Silver coated reflectors
* Warranty on the fixture
* Sleek & low profile, easy to move

Tbone over at RC has a similar setup except he's got the 8 bulb units
Sorry about posting pics in your build thread just trying to give you some ideas-
DSCN2835.jpg

DSCN2839.jpg

DSCN2895.jpg

ConcreteReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watt's per gallon is not a good way to calculate T5's.
A buddy of mine staggered a 16 bulb retro 48" IceCap retro over his 265g and his corals are getting sunburned..

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back