36X36X24 120G cube build

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I got into this hobby about three years ago with a 20-gallon HOB tank, took a break during the COVID then returned last winter with two nano tanks. Interestingly, this hobby seems to captivate me mostly in the winter months. I recently decided to pursue my dream tank. For the past three weeks, I've been reading a lot threads in R2R. Now as I've decided most of the specs for the build, I'm excited to share my journey in this thread

Theme: SPS-dominated sit in the corner of the dining room, bare bottom and a remote sump in the basement.

Tank: 3’ x 3’ x 2’ acrylic tank with external beananimal overflow. I was torn between glass and acrylic, but after careful consideration, I've decided on acrylic, possibly from Advanced Acrylics or Envision Acrylics.

Stand: The stand will be a 3’ x 3’ x 3’ custom build, using 80/20 materials. I'm considering suppliers like Alufabinc or Frame Tech and will be requesting quotes soon.

Sump: Trigger System TITANIUM39 with an auto roller

Lighting: If no canopy, I'll likely choose ATI Stragon. If I decide on a canopy, I'll use a combination of T5 and Radion lights.

Controller: Neptune Apex Pro + a bunch of apex sensors.

Return Pump: A Reef Octopus VarioS 10 and a Jebao

Current Progress:
  • I've created some designs using SketchUp.
  • The sump has been ordered from BRS, taking advantage of a sale.
  • I've built a framework using PVC pipes to visualize the size of the tank in the room.
Next Steps:
  • I plan to consult with a structural engineer regarding the safety of the floor support.
  • I will be ordering the tank and stand soon since they usually take a while to build.
Screenshot 2023-12-26 171527.png

Screenshot 2023-12-26 171430.png

IMG_6888.JPEG

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an interesting build! Thanks for bringing us along here, I look forward to following your progress!

OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much concrete update so far...

In the last week I ordered the tank from AdvancedAcrylics and the tank stand from Alufab. They both have turnaround time for 5-6 weeks.

I also ordered ATI straton Pro for the lighting, also needs to wait.

In the next few weeks I'll get some macrorocks and think about aquascape

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jealous on the Straton Pro you are getting! little to much $$$ for me but that's a dream light. Im in the process of buying the Original ATI Straton. What size did you get?

OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jealous on the Straton Pro you are getting! little to much $$$ for me but that's a dream light. Im in the process of buying the Original ATI Straton. What size did you get?
I'm getting the 18.5" x 18.5" version, figure that the square shape could match the cube tank.

OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding to the plumbing, I’m still debating if I should drill 5 holes beside the AC vent, or reuse the vent hole and relocate the vent to be outside of the tank area…
IMG_6959.jpeg

OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the basement structure below the tank area, both side of the wall are concrete so it should be able to hold the tank. It’s the corner of the house so i dont want to mess up with drywall, so the pvc pipes have to go through the wood floor
IMG_6960.png

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd use the vent hole and move the vent. Just me.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm also leaning towards that, but I haven't find a way to patch and seal the reused vent hole with 5 1" pvc pipes ...
Maybe you could diy a wooden cover with holes drilled out? With foam for the pipes to go through to ensure it would be insulated and quiet?

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d take a board that would either cover the opening or one that would just barely drop into the opening depending on if you want it to sit flush with your floor or not. I’d then cut it in half and tape it back together to drill 5 holes slightly bigger than the pipes, centered on the cut you made to the board. I’d then take it apart and put some of the weather stripping for doors around the holes to seal around the pipes. By making it two pieces it’d be easy to put it around your pipes and make sure they’re sealed.

OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
relocating the vent is a lot of work... and reusing the vent with a board also requires some effort to seal and fit.. now I think why not just drill 5 holes besides it, the only drawback is that the vent will be blowing against the tank, which might not be a bad thing? it's temperature control anyway.

The tand stand will have leveling caster, so the stand is not gonna be sitting on the vent.

OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received the sump last week. It looks nice, however, the divider in the middle has a hollow fish shape, which I thought it was transparent acrylic. Now I’m worried that pods or fishes from Refugium will get into the skimmer pump.
IMG_6991.jpeg
IMG_6992.jpeg

OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s bizarre it actually had a cut out…. Good looking sump. Maybe you could replace that panel with a new solid piece that’s what I’m thinking.
Yeah I guess it might be ok given the flow will keep things inside the refugium, shouldn't be a big deal

OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand from Alufab was delivered on time, and assembling it took a considerable amount of time. This was my initial experience working with aluminum extrusion, and I must admit, the material has a shining and sophisticated appearance. It looks impressive, even with the frames visible. The assembly process was relatively straightforward. However, due to the unique design that includes an internal shelf, I mistakenly attached the bottom support of the shelf in the wrong place, resulting in a lot of time waste on disassemble the frame.

The plumbing supplies also arrived in a box.

Next step:

I need to figure out how to mount cabinet doors onto the frame. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_7028.jpeg

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand from Alufab was delivered on time, and assembling it took a considerable amount of time. This was my initial experience working with aluminum extrusion, and I must admit, the material has a shining and sophisticated appearance. It looks impressive, even with the frames visible. The assembly process was relatively straightforward. However, due to the unique design that includes an internal shelf, I mistakenly attached the bottom support of the shelf in the wrong place, resulting in a lot of time waste on disassemble the frame.

The plumbing supplies also arrived in a box.

Next step:

I need to figure out how to mount cabinet doors onto the frame. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_7028.jpeg
Magnets or fasteners. I got some fasteners from Amazon from a recommendation on my thread so ill let you know what works or doesent lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back