Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all
Let me give a little insight on tank
TANK
450 gallon display
150 gallon sum
150 gallon rubber made bin ( extra water volume)
Probably close to 650 gallons with displacement

Perameters
Alk-8-9
Cal-375-400
Mag-1350
No3-10-15
Po4-.08-.15
Ph-8.1-8.35

Sits around these numbers most of the time .I have no hair algae and tank is growing a lot of coralline algae .
I broke my first tank down last june after a year of struggle, and moved fish and rock to the rubber made and mad plans for my new tank . Moved fish rock into new tank Feb 10,23. Fast forward 5 almost 6 months and here we are . Not great but not all bad.
So my question is ::::::
This film algae on glass grows in 2 days . And I am thinking this is too fast . Something is off. Maybe silicates .
I run a Uv sterilizer for ich and velvet and the sort .
Do I need another for algae ?
I can keep sps ( still learning) . Stuff I purchased is staying alive at least this past month .
Do I beef up my RODI?
I have 6 stage. With the spectra pure silica buster?
Do I up my rowa ?
Po4 is mostly below .1 creeping up so I know it’s time to change ?
My nitrate and phosphate are always 10 apart
Not to sure if that is ideal .
Maybe lower the lights .
Go to 10 hours or change the spectrum ?
Any advice I would appreciate . Thank you all for reading .

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this a lot. Not every system but sometimes more than once in a system. Once it's wiped off algae can redeposit and regrow pretty fast. Invariabley as a system matures it slows down considerablly. One fix is checking the lighting to see how much light is hitting the glass. Sometimes just angling th lights towards the back has helped. WIping the algae off and running a diatom filter has helped remove it faster thanit redeposits and starts to regrow. Sometimes paper towels works but it is a messy method.

(And your PO4 is fine. FWIW .03 mg/l is the minimum, .5 mg/l is acceptable and even .9mg/l might not be an issue.)

OP
OP
R

ReeffHusbWifey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice video I’m going to give this a try . Typically I can get it off pretty easy just thinking that the 2 days is way to quick . Thank you for your response . Nice looking tank looks mature .

Sean_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quite a bit of testimonies I've read on here and other forums suggest phosphate leaching could/will encourage GHA

I'm not stating this first hand, merely passing information on per my readings

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all
TANK
450 gallon display
150 gallon sum

Perameters
Alk-8-9
Cal-375-400
Mag-1350
No3-10-15
Po4-.08-.15
Ph-8.1-8.35

Sits around these numbers most of the time .I have no hair algae and tank is growing a lot of coralline algae .
I broke my first tank down last june after a year of struggle, and moved fish and rock to the rubber made and mad plans for my new tank . Moved fish rock into new tank Feb 10,23. Fast forward 5 almost 6 months and here we are . Not great but not all bad.
This film algae on glass grows in 2 days . And I am thinking this is too fast . Something is off. Maybe silicates .
I can keep sps ( still learning) . Stuff I purchased is staying alive at least this past month .
Do I beef up my RODI?
Do I up my rowa ?
Maybe lower the lights .
I consider that free food for little critters. Obviously daily cleaning with a magnetic glass cleaner will impeded its exponential growth phase, a lot. System sounds healthy enough and keeping the glass clean bounces a lot more light around the tank for corals etc. A pic of the tank would be good :)

Edit - never mind, just saw your photos on the other thread, looks great :)

OP
OP
R

ReeffHusbWifey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• 71176519482__F936EB43-FAD5-4483-9E6D-99CE774FC060.MOV
    1.5 MB

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI @Sean_B and @ReefHusbWifey, WHile naked carbonate surfaces do absorb phosphorus, biofilms "drasticely" alter sorption properties as well as sequester phosphorus itself. From my experience there's no correlation between nuisance algae and PO4 and have documented INCREASES in PO4 after GHA disappears. To blame nuisance algae mostly on PO4 leaching from rocks ignores a much more complex picture that is happening in reef systems

. . . just thinking that the 2 days is way to quick . . ..

Thank you, and yes, 2 days is way to quick. One to two weeks is what I would consider typicial. What I noticed a long time ago is when wiping off algae with an algae magnet the algae stays suspended in the water for a time and some can start resettling immediately. Dependingon what might be competing with it as it grows more and more keeps collecting on the glass faster necessitating wiping it off more frequently. I used to use filter pads/socks but found using a diatonm filter or paper towels worked when filter pads/socks didn't

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this a lot. Not every system but sometimes more than once in a system. Once it's wiped off algae can redeposit and regrow pretty fast. Invariabley as a system matures it slows down considerablly. One fix is checking the lighting to see how much light is hitting the glass. Sometimes just angling th lights towards the back has helped. WIping the algae off and running a diatom filter has helped remove it faster thanit redeposits and starts to regrow. Sometimes paper towels works but it is a messy method.

(And your PO4 is fine. FWIW .03 mg/l is the minimum, .5 mg/l is acceptable and even .9mg/l might not be an issue.)

I see film ( blanket ) algae in my other sumpy tank, not the main tank. In my main tank I have normal growth ( seen in the last 20-years ) and clean it off with a scratch pad to feed the tank.

If algae is growing, nutrients ( excess ? ) are being consumed and is extra food IMO !

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future."
Niels Bohr

Probably happens !

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello all
TANK
450 gallon display
150 gallon sum

Perameters
Alk-8-9
Cal-375-400
Mag-1350
No3-10-15
Po4-.08-.15
Ph-8.1-8.35

Do I beef up my RODI?
Do I up my rowa ?
Maybe lower the lights .
Every 2-3 days for me also on a 400g. I changed the pitch of the lights away slightly from glass and its now every 3-4 days and am thinking, maybe time for 3-D shades to deflect the light from the glass

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. . . Nice looking tank looks mature .

Thank you! I thought some back histrory might help. The system in my video was about 7-8 years old and is built into a bar. Video was taken about 6 months after the house was sold. As the system had an autofeeder there wasn't a change in feeding, the only change was increase in the light schedule, from about 9 hours to about 12 hours. CHanging the lights algae was able to respond faster than corals. It was about 2 months the algae increased and it took several times wiping algae off with paper towels over about 4-5 weeks to get the growth back to waht it was before the light change.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 45.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back