Just a nice tricolor?

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this at a frag show a few years ago as a longer branching tricolor of some type. It came from what appeared to be a chop shop type vendor and was a 2” stag like form. It grew fast but it never was anything very nice color wise and looked a little like a more purple version of Copp’s Calacali (looks nothing like it now) with a more bottle brush form, at least until I got hit with aefw and back to back Asia trips, one during which the dKH dropped to 4. I’m shocked any acropora made it out alive, but I have some survivors.

This was eaten from the base up, then it was stn’ing, and then it was fighting a battle with coralline algae that has taken over corals seemingly stronger than it. Then it started yi her bulbous like growth as each branch tried to form a base. Now it’s sprouting from where a few branches bulb like bases fused together. This thing has almost been almost sold, given away, relegated to the anemone tank, or thrown in a bucket of bleach more times than I can count.

What do you think, is it just an abused tricolor that colored up in a weird way? I’m not sure what to do with it. Should I move it to the display? Leave it be? Frag it and let the frags grow and see what the bulb like bases shoot out? I I was leaning towards the later, but it almost seems a shame to butcher hack it up now. What would you do?

Sorry for the cell phone pics. I really need to bust out a real camera... Also, I did cut one frag that lacked the teal/green some of the other branches have, but had an interesting coloration at the tip.

6AB6041D-8440-430C-B636-7EE5999B750B.jpeg

8CCAB02D-9802-4734-BEDC-62415B2FFE6E.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ike

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frag looks like it has some green pigment infection.

Yeah, it'll be interesting, I'm assuming it'll just go away or just stay with that one tip. I wish the pics looked better, I'm not capturing the teal coloration on the colony very well.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally if it looks that defined it will at least stay with the frag but hopefully it grows out with the marble color! Keep us updated it looks pretty cool.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back