Just a reminder...DIP YOUR CORALS!

Lee's Fragtacular Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Planaria can be super difficult to spot on corals, especially on lps, and then theyre a real pain once in the tank.

Does anyone still use the Bayer pesticide as a dip?
I still use Bayer as a dip. Used it on some $400 frags no problem. I believe they're several different Bayer products out there, so make sure that you get the correct one if you go this route. I'm on the road so I can't get to my Bayer until tomorrow. I agree removing the frag plug is a good idea as well.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pest eating fish or two always helps. No dip kills the eggs and you can't scrub off eggs that are hidden in the skeleton or folds of a coral. Dipping helps, but it will not solve the issue. I'm not even sure it prevents it. Slows it down maybe. Definitely can give you a false sense of security. Even QTing a coral for 30+ days isn't a guarantee.
I'm also all for a weekly inspection (I actually do one nightly) of my tank using a flashlight. This is a great time to spot the nasties that hide in rocks the corals came in on or to find ones that burrowed into rock and outright avoided the dip.
If it's not a copepod or brittle star or hitchhiker coral, I pretty much treat it like a pest and do my best to get it out of my tank. I don't even like bristle worms because they inevitably sting me when cleaning my tank and I wind up with swollen itchy fingers.
I'm even wary about what snails I put in my tank. There are a few types that eat corals like the cowry. And then you have whelks that look like nassarius and will eat things they shouldn't, not to mention the parasites that come in on snails too. (some yummy ones there).
So yeah, dip, but don't let down your guard because you do.

OP
OP
Zero1091

Zero1091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really glad to see the post is having a positive impact on the reefing community to dip more often and take it serious.
Ill even admit, I was seconds away from just popping it in the tank after acclimating and said, “nah I should really dip this.”

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still use Bayer as a dip. Used it on some $400 frags no problem. I believe they're several different Bayer products out there, so make sure that you get the correct one if you go this route. I'm on the road so I can't get to my Bayer until tomorrow. I agree removing the frag plug is a good idea as well.
Me too

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think dip is enough, really you need 2 dips 10-15 days apart to allow eggs to hatch. And if you found anything a 3rd dip just in case to verify

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not kidding! I just did it for the first time when moving all my stuff to a new tank. All these flatworms came off my single 13-head Ducnan! I used Bayer and it worked fantastically for all my corals.

IMG_20191116_180408.jpg

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used many dips they are all pretty good. Stick to Kent iodine and TLF Revive mostly, cause my lfs always has it in.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good reminder

Back