Just an FYI on Bottom Anemone

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the bait. Pics looked to good to be true. I think they are. Nice color body...until it buries itself in sand then gone.

And. They are very small. Like way less than ping pong ball!

And...they hide 100% under sand for weeks! Only way it comes out is if I poke the sand or blow sand off it. Comes out eats and good bye! Gone.

$350....I don’t know?

d7ed946db6475437c06e6cb5739c1504.jpg

No they DO NOT LOOK LIKE THIS Pic! Just an FYI. Maybe I am wrong????

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had been asking about these on my thread. I was curious about what these were too.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had originally asked if these were some sort of RFA. I'd love to know more about them.

OP
OP
RedSea500MaxS

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh...very nice dealer that sold it replied to mr that his was out and doing great. But in his Pic it was in a basket in bottom of a frag tank LOL.

Sorry my show tank does not have a veggie basket. Mine is MIA.

But they are new and cool.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yours is beautiful! I understand you'd like to see more of it!! @dantimdad this is the one we were talking about a few weeks ago.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wonder if you could do this on a bare bottom tank?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the consensus is that they're a Japanese cold water species. In other words, they may not last very long in our reef tanks. I've seen a few and none looked very good. Definitely not worth taking a chance on IMO.

OP
OP
RedSea500MaxS

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s a tube anemone, &350 is a hefty price

Don definitely similar family...it has a firm round body that’s shaped like ping pong ball, but little smaller. Body is very cool because it has these gold bumps covering it 100%, like beads. Very pretty color.

Then tentacles come out top. Most are clear, but some have very color neon yellow stripe. There also is some red and blue at base of tentacles. Nothing like the pics we see...maybe under a black light?? But normal high end LEDs, itmlokks way way different.

Mine loves the sand and dug itself into 1-1/2” of sand so it disappeared. There at pm, and gone in am. I looked EVERYWHERE thinking it was roaming stinging my corals or eating my small pets!

Nope I dug carefully in his spot....there he was...100% buried.

He came out Sat am when I usually feed my corals and ate like a champ! Crazy good eater. Stayed out all day very happy, then did not see him for a week!

Poked the sand and actually moved the sand carefully so sand was lowered than his diameter.....thinking he would have to stay out. Stayed out all day, ate and in am...had moved over 3” into the sand! And guess what then....gone for now over a week.

Dealer said they are in families with rock bottom Nems? I agree with you it’s closer to a tube nem, but no big flabby ugly tube, and way smaller unless anyone has seen a larger one?

Yes...$350 now is a regret. I have something very new and very cool, but as you read it’s like a new expensive puppy that does nothing but sleeps all day.

PS...I tried to remove it from my tank to sell it. WOW....THAT THING WAS STUCK TO the TANK BOTTOM! I quickly gave up to not hurt it, and like always it is at the very bottom and far corner so I must go diving to reach it. Sign from the reef Gods....it’s mine for a while.

More updates if things change.

OP
OP
RedSea500MaxS

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the consensus is that they're a Japanese cold water species. In other words, they may not last very long in our reef tanks. I've seen a few and none looked very good. Definitely not worth taking a chance on IMO.

Agree. Pics not realistic correct? Sorry not throwing stones, just setting proper expectations. $350 plus shipping is A LOT OF MONEY! If it looked like pic...I would be waltzing around like a 2019 Ford GT owner!

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water chemistry and light can greatly affect the anemone color and intensity. If I put my CSB under the Radions XR30 Pro g4, it looks like hot lava burning in water. Under Hydra26 HD, it glows, but at about 40% compare to the XR30. Under a Chinese blackbox, it glows at about 10%. All anemone keepers know this, if the water condition is not right, it will start losing color and becomes dull.
For $350, I would rather buy a blue gig.
Btw, have you thought about using the anemone cup? It's actually a planter cup. IMO, it would be a pain to keep it clean. But ask around because I have no experience with it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back