Anemone dying, not sure what to do

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, If put 3 lights on it…and put it in sunlight, how long should I leave it in the sun?…and what are its chances of survival?
If you aren’t able to upgrade the light, I’d say 8 hours of sunlight or so - unless this raises the water temp to dangerous levels (82+ degrees F), in which case you should reduce as needed

OP
OP
T

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good chances? No. Better chance than leaving it with one severely underpowered light? Yes.
Ok, is there anything that I can do in the mean time that would give it a better chance of survival??? I would get a better light in a heartbeat. I just don’t have the budget right now. And I really don’t want to lose this anemone. So is there any temporary alternatives?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, is there anything that I can do in the mean time that would give it a better chance of survival??? I would get a better light in a heartbeat. I just don’t have the budget right now. And I really don’t want to lose this anemone. So is there any temporary alternatives?
Just sunlight exposure as I mentioned, and put the existing light fixture above the box the anemone is in. Also, I’d recommend adding a small piece of live rock to the box with plenty of holes in it for the nem to inhabit so it can hide if it feels the need to. Healthy nems do just fine on plastic/glass surfaces, but a sick or injured nem may wish to conceal itself.

OP
OP
T

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the input, when I get home I’ll put him in the sun. What light setting will be better white or blue?

OP
OP
T

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be on the white setting…that won’t bleach the anemone will it?

OP
OP
T

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, thank you guys…when I get home I’ll put the light on white and put the anemone in the sun.

OP
OP
T

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I do I have budget to upgrade the anemones light….does this look like a good one?

Attachments

• FB5408BC-5E14-4D37-A790-FEE6EFC3F68E.png
    FB5408BC-5E14-4D37-A790-FEE6EFC3F68E.png
    307.6 KB · Views: 38

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, looks way better. I'd still recommend you spring for the noopsyche k7 mini, it will give you better PAR and coverage.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if the light is really only 1.5 watts each, 3 of them would certainly be better than 1. Sunlight exposure will hep too if possible.
To put it into perspective my 2 kessil lights are 90w each and I have them at 95% intensity for my nems

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do people act like BTA are some super sensitive things? If you provide the basics, good water, good light and good flow, they're pretty hardy. People literally cut them in half. I don't believe a mature system does anything for the nem, it moreso does something for the "mature" reefer. The longer a tank is up the more capable and accustomed the owner is.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do people act like BTA are some super sensitive things? If you provide the basics, good water, good light and good flow, they're pretty hardy. People literally cut them in half. I don't believe a mature system does anything for the nem, it moreso does something for the "mature" reefer. The longer a tank is up the more capable and accustomed the owner is.
have you ever kept an anemone in a freshly cycled tank without bio media from a mature system? If so, I genuinely applaud you. I've never had that succeed myself.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you ever kept an anemone in a freshly cycled tank without bio media from a mature system? If so, I genuinely applaud you. I've never had that succeed myself.
I have a Nexus and a CSB in a 25g waterbox that I set up in December, all new rock, cycled for 1 month. Transferred nems, csb was angry for about 1 week but is doing great. My SPS did hate the change though, but I struggled with maintaining Alk initially.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nexus and a CSB in a 25g waterbox that I set up in December, all new rock, cycled for 1 month. Transferred nems, csb was angry for about 1 week but is doing great. My SPS did hate the change though, but I struggled with maintaining Alk initially.
Impressive, great work

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be the exception to the rule in my eyes. Generally speaking though this is not the norm, which is why it's argued against. People asking questions are almost always new reefers and new to anemone though.

OP
OP
T

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About an hour ago, I put the anemone in the sun white the light still on it…I can’t tell if it’s doing better of worse. How does it look?

Attachments

• 3FBFD4E3-DB36-43E9-BDBF-EF69C4887562.jpeg
    3FBFD4E3-DB36-43E9-BDBF-EF69C4887562.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 6634D62C-91F1-41CC-AE4C-0F2E45B5901A.jpeg
    6634D62C-91F1-41CC-AE4C-0F2E45B5901A.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 35

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back