Anemone dying?

pynakerm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone has been struggling this past week (please see my post from earlier today for more info). Now it looks like a translucent flower, puffed out and gaping.

Im not sure what to do at this point. Is it dying? Should I remove it? Thank you in advance for your help.

20240317_211927.jpg 20240317_212048.jpg 20240317_212107.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing not mentioned in the other post is to double check your tests. Other than that keep things stable and it should recover.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was any maintenance done on the tank while you were on vacation?

1.030 salinity is quite high, and again if you had a house sitter come in and do a WC, they easily could have made a mistake, causing salinity levels to jump super high super fast.

How fast did you lower the salinity? While lowering salinity is less stressful, swings can cause high amounts of stress.

I would just let it be, and hopefully it bounces back, but it seems like it has been through a lot in the past 2 weeks.

OP
OP
P

pynakerm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1.030 salinity is quite high, and again if you had a house sitter come in and do a WC, they easily could have made a mistake, causing salinity levels to jump super high super fast.

How fast did you lower the salinity? While lowering salinity is less stressful, swings can cause high amounts of stress.

I would just let it be, and hopefully it bounces back, but it seems like it has been through a lot in the past 2 weeks.
No one did any tank maintenance. I think it might have been related to evaporation. I brought down the salinity in two water changes over three days. Maybe too quickly? Thank you for your reply.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one did any tank maintenance. I think it might have been related to evaporation. I brought down the salinity in two water changes over three days. Maybe too quickly? Thank you for your reply.
Yes, it was 100% because of evaporation, I just wanted to make sure.

1.030 over 2 weeks isn't bad, but having it jump up in an hour because an inexperienced reef keeper did a water change is a different story.

Do you have an ATO?

Lowering it down over 3 days is perfectly fine.

Hopefully, it opens up soon, but there is not much you can do now. It's just a waiting game.

OP
OP
P

pynakerm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it was 100% because of evaporation, I just wanted to make sure.

1.030 over 2 weeks isn't bad, but having it jump up in an hour because an inexperienced reef keeper did a water change is a different story.

Do you have an ATO?

Lowering it down over 3 days is perfectly fine.

Hopefully, it opens up soon, but there is not much you can do now. It's just a waiting game.
No, sadly I do not, but it's time to educate myself and invest. I feel horrible about my nem. He survived me being a dumb, new tank owner and now I've put him through this.

I'm not sure what a dying anemone looks like, but I hope he'll be ok. I appreciate the response. Thank you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back