Do these anemones look bleached/unhealthy or worth buying?

Lennie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

The anemones I saw locally are very big and therefore, super expensive.So I started checking online.

I really liked the look of these two anemones but I wonder if they are bleached or not. When I google about bleached anemones, I usually see white and pinks. But the coloration of these two still make me question the health condition.

Does it make no sense to buy these? Please help.
Thanks

Pics:
IMG_9943.jpg

IMG_9944.jpg

Also found this magnificient anemone "green" but not sure if it looks healthy. The pic quality is low on this one. But it didn't look like it is in a good condition really. Idk if it is the picture and/or light or the health issue. It has been shipped to the store around 20 days ago
cbbe54ab-1e59-45d8-86a1-f862d2b0dcda.jpg

Thanks,

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of these anemones are fully bleached. I would buy them if they don’t deflated off and on. Sick anemone can look fine sometime, only to look bad at other time.

OP
OP
L

Lennie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of these anemones are fully bleached. I would buy them if they don’t deflated off and on. Sick anemone can look fine sometime, only to look bad at other time.
Thank you!

Would you recommend doing anything special for the bubble tip ones in case I get them? I saw your protocol of anemone treatment and it was interesting to read and learn.

I would love them to be happy and healthy

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both BTAs and magnifica. Both of the photos you shared show what appear to be relatively healthy anemones. The care requirements are much higher for magnifica, and if you purchase it I recommend being prepared to do a treatment. On the other hand, BTAs typically take a couple of weeks to fully settle in, but rarely need treatment.

In your case, it boils down to which one you like better.

I lean more towards the magnifica because I like the way that they look. I always think back to the beginning of FInding Nemo--the magnifica is that anemone we see. BTAs are easier to keep, though tend to wander when water/lighting conditions change, and will clone regularly -- which can be considered a blessing and a curse.

OP
OP
L

Lennie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both BTAs and magnifica. Both of the photos you shared show what appear to be relatively healthy anemones. The care requirements are much higher for magnifica, and if you purchase it I recommend being prepared to do a treatment. On the other hand, BTAs typically take a couple of weeks to fully settle in, but rarely need treatment.

In your case, it boils down to which one you like better.

I lean more towards the magnifica because I like the way that they look. I always think back to the beginning of FInding Nemo--the magnifica is that anemone we see. BTAs are easier to keep, though tend to wander when water/lighting conditions change, and will clone regularly -- which can be considered a blessing and a curse.
Hello!

To be fair, I like the look of bubbletip more. Bubbletip is 1.5x more expensive compared to the magnificient one, and based on my research, just like you said, everyone mentions magnificient one being more sensitive to shipment, may require treatment, and tend to be needy while bubbletip seems to be easier and hardier. But as you mentioned the nemo, bubbletips are not a natural host to A.Ocellaris it seems :(

The tank will be stocked with only two clownfish (A.ocellaris) and anemone. So cloning is a positive thing in my case! I only have a 1 month old tank that is cycled currently. Today I ordered two juvenile clowns, and thinking about introducing an anemone in the future.

My tank is fairly small, but I have much bigger tanks currently set up as freshwater tanks. I just wanted to see how everything goes for the nano size first time saltwater experience without investing a lot for the big size equipments and go minimalistic. In case a tank upgrade is needed for the anemone, I can just easily do that in the future. No worries on that part.

Do I have to wait for a long time to get bubbletip one too, as it is condered to be "easy to take care of and hardy" compared to many others? Or paying attention to parameters after adding the clown pair tomorrow and once it is stable, can I introduce a medium size bubbletip anemone? I watch and read a lot, but I would love to hear from your experience as well

Lennie

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

To be fair, I like the look of bubbletip more. Bubbletip is 1.5x more expensive compared to the magnificient one, and based on my research, just like you said, everyone mentions magnificient one being more sensitive to shipment, may require treatment, and tend to be needy while bubbletip seems to be easier and hardier. But as you mentioned the nemo, bubbletips are not a natural host to A.Ocellaris it seems :(

The tank will be stocked with only two clownfish (A.ocellaris) and anemone. So cloning is a positive thing in my case! I only have a 1 month old tank that is cycled currently. Today I ordered two juvenile clowns, and thinking about introducing an anemone in the future.

My tank is fairly small, but I have much bigger tanks currently set up as freshwater tanks. I just wanted to see how everything goes for the nano size first time saltwater experience without investing a lot for the big size equipments and go minimalistic. In case a tank upgrade is needed for the anemone, I can just easily do that in the future. No worries on that part.

Do I have to wait for a long time to get bubbletip one too, as it is condered to be "easy to take care of and hardy" compared to many others? Or paying attention to parameters after adding the clown pair tomorrow and once it is stable, can I introduce a medium size bubbletip anemone? I watch and read a lot, but I would love to hear from your experience as well

Lennie
Definitely get what you like! Since BTAs are not the natural host anemone, it may take a while for the ocellaris to find them (or it may never happen, unfortunately).

In terms of how long to wait, an easy rule is to wait until you have an ample growth of coralline algae. That usually means that the tank has stabilized and parameters are right -- meaning calcium is consistent at 400+, alk is 7-10, and phosphate levels aren't too high. Looking for coralline is a lot easier than waiting a set amount of time. If you start growing coralline in just a few weeks after your tank was set up, than you're ready!

OP
OP
L

Lennie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely get what you like! Since BTAs are not the natural host anemone, it may take a while for the ocellaris to find them (or it may never happen, unfortunately).

In terms of how long to wait, an easy rule is to wait until you have an ample growth of coralline algae. That usually means that the tank has stabilized and parameters are right -- meaning calcium is consistent at 400+, alk is 7-10, and phosphate levels aren't too high. Looking for coralline is a lot easier than waiting a set amount of time. If you start growing coralline in just a few weeks after your tank was set up, than you're ready!
Thanks again!

I did watch BRS video and read around a bit. They have been talking about seeding the tank and mention about introducing snails with coralline algae on their shell or it coming with live rocks/coral frags etc.

I wanted this to be an anemone- clownfish tank only. I checked my LFSs, but I have not noticed any snail shells having coralline algae, and nobody was willing to give or sell me a piece of rock covered. And I sadly know noone that owns saltwater tank around me

I wonder, if coralline algae can grow by itself in a tank out of nowhere? Or do I need a source to introduce it to my tank, and let it spread around gradually?

Please note that we dont have bottled products for coraline algae

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back