Just built my stand and fitted my plumbing, what do you think?

High School Teacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything I should change before I finish glueing it all together and fill it with water? I hope you guys like it.

A3900B47-5DB5-4DB4-A8FE-9FE641FF08A5.jpeg 5D5F82FB-5D21-46F5-B921-4157E13D1315.jpeg A8C81753-5E9F-415B-AAE1-E40279478EA8.jpeg CF04BA16-2D4E-4D4D-8EC2-4900B9EF8FDB.jpeg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks clean, but I'm kinda confused on how it's plumbed. I would like to see a full shot of the back of the tank, as well as what's going on behind the skimmer.

OP
OP
H

High School Teacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks clean, but I'm kinda confused on how it's plumbed. I would like to see a full shot of the back of the tank, as well as what's going on behind the skimmer.
The main drain is down the middle, the secondary drops into the skimmer chamber, the emergency line drops into the refugium. The return T’s off to return to the tank then to the left for a future manifold (chiller, reactor, UV, ...). The return line goes up between the main and emergency wraps around then goes up and over the back corner of the tank.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like main siphon and emergency are right, but the other drain is bypassing the socks.
Agreed. I also can't figure out the main return. It looks like it goes slightly down, toward a gate valve, then maybe a 90 to go straight up, with more angle pieces behind the DT.
The more turns your return makes, the more pressure on the pump, restricting flow.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one spot for the drain pre socks. I don’t have a drill to put one over the sock. (Yet)
Your main drain should fall directly into the filter sock. Also, I don't see the need to have a secondary go to the skimmer. Won't the water just flow through the sock into the skimmer chamber?
Am I missing something?

Reeflux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main drain is down the middle, the secondary drops into the skimmer chamber, the emergency line drops into the refugium. The return T’s off to return to the tank then to the left for a future manifold (chiller, reactor, UV, ...). The return line goes up between the main and emergency wraps around then goes up and over the back corner of the tank.
Is the secondary line your durso open channel? You might as well run that through a sock maybe

OP
OP
H

High School Teacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your main drain should fall directly into the filter sock. Also, I don't see the need to have a secondary go to the skimmer. Won't the water just flow through the sock into the skimmer chamber?
Am I missing something?
Yes it does, but I wanted the second open drain to have a chance to go through the skimmer too.

Reeflux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is but I don’t have an extra bulkhead to plumb it that way. So I just dropped it in front of my skimmer so that 100% of the water has a chance of going through the skimmer
That's kind of hard on the skimmer.... the skimmer is designed for filtration after the large food waste is collected via some type of screen or sock. I'm not sure the skimmer will even be able to collect those large pieces of debris. (Someone else might have more on this, I'm just not sure).....

E drain is fine....siphon is fine...but I would at least try and fashion a filter of some sort, under the open channel before dropping to the skimmer. If you do that... I think it can work just fine, as intended.

OP
OP
H

High School Teacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I also can't figure out the main return. It looks like it goes slightly down, toward a gate valve, then maybe a 90 to go straight up, with more angle pieces behind the DT.
The more turns your return makes, the more pressure on the pump, restricting flow.
I get that, it’s a 35 gallon tank with either an echo tech S2 or M2 (I have both and either can be the return or a utility pump sold I need one later on.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 42.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back