Plumbing Return Fittings

maethuu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first 40G Breeder build and my first time doing any real plumbing. I've figured out how to hard plumb my overflow. Seems simple enough and there's a ton of tutorials on how to do it in several different ways. I want to soft plumb my return but don't know what fittings I need. If I had the pieces laying around I'd be able to mess with them but I don't want buy a bunch of stuff I don't need.

Will a bulkhead > 3/4" PVC > 3/4'' 90 degree elbow barb x female thread > braided vinyl tubing work?
Or does it need to be a bit more complicated like bulkhead > 3/4" PVC > 90 degree slip x slip > PVC > ??? (I need the barb fitting here but don't what pieces work and fit together) I was thinking coupler to pipe adapter spigot x barb? But what even is a coupler and how do they fit lol. :face-with-spiral-eyes:

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah your first idea works Just fine. Bulkhead-pvc pipe- 90- spigot barb- braided vinyl. Spigot barbs are nice because you can glue and don't have to worry about Teflon tape deteriorating into your system. And try to use the plastic ratcheting clamps for your hoses. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
M

maethuu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. dang dude what a headache :loudly-crying-face: Will these fittings in the picture work together? Or do I need a slip x slip 90 > spigot barb?
Streets fit into the inside on pvc correct?

Screenshot_20231130_155839_Chrome.jpg

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the spigot barb will fit inside the slip side of the 90 and the spigot side of the 90 will fit inside bulkhead. As long as everything is 3/4". If you want to make 100% sure, you can take your bulkhead to ace and see if their street 90s will fit inside. Or just buy it there and save like 1.50. I bought all my hard plumbing from lows and saved a bunch and just hit it with some krylon fusion spray paint to make it not white lol
20231022_094025.jpg

OP
OP
M

maethuu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Thanks man. I'll run to lowes and play around with some pipes and fittings to familiarize myself with all of this stuff a bit better. Much appreciated.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back