Just fished this out..

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was running about on the sand at 11am so wasn’t sure what it was. Should I put it back in? Press the pic for a gif 72B0F4F1-A6F5-4B15-AAEB-0FF4607B6FFD.gif

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphipod, and no, now that it is out don't put it back in.
There will be probably more in your tank than you can count anyway, but they can eat corals if they are hungry. Every one that is out of the tank is one potential pest not able to munch on corals.

Last edited:

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amphipod, and no, now that it is out don't put it back in.
There will be probably more in your tank than you can count anyway, but they can eat corals if they are hungry. Every one that is out of the tank is one potential pest not able to munch on corals.
Just curious as to where you heard/read this information? Never have I heard about pods eating corals. Quite the opposite actually.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never have I heard about pods eating corals.
There are literally several accounts of them eating corals in this forum in only the last few months. I've also experienced it in every single nano tank I set up in my 15 years of reefing.
If they are able to exponentially multiply because of missing competiton and then run out of food the large adults WILL eat corals. They have all tools necessary to do so.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing some research, I see that they have been blamed for eating zoos. Some claim they eat sps, trumpet, and other coral. The other side, people claim they are eating dead coral flesh and not the healthy living coral tissue.
In my 30 years experience, I have never seen or have had this problem and tend to believe it's more of them "cleaning up" some dead tissue and the coral may have had some other issue.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it unless I see a video with it actually happening.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guess I just have fish that eat them before they make there way to coral. Honestly still don’t see them as a threat but to each there own!

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
video with it actually happening.
There are videos here on reef2reef of it actually happening. What now?

They were definitely eating my zoas that were happy and open, until the pods started well...eating them, you know?
The zoas only recovered after i eradicated most of them.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are videos here on reef2reef of it actually happening. What now?

They were definitely eating my zoas that were happy and open, until the pods started well...eating them, you know?
The zoas only recovered after i eradicated most of them.
Well, can you post them?
Not saying it didn't happen, I want to see it.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, can you post them?
Not saying it didn't happen, I want to see it.
Sorry, didn't save the links. Im sure you can find them on your own if you are interested though.
Of course, unless you experience it in your own tank, which i don't wish on anyone, you may still think "Hey that coral is already dying"

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, didn't save the links. Im sure you can find them on your own if you are interested though.
Of course, unless you experience it in your own tank, which i don't wish on anyone, you may still think "Hey that coral is already dying"
I typed in "amphipod eating coral" on the search.
The only actual video that came up show a pod on the dead section of a sps. I still don't see what your talking about. I have not seen any evidence. Every thread has people saying it's not true.
Can you help me find one?

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typed in "amphipod eating coral" on the search.
The only actual video that came up show a pod on the dead section of a sps. I still don't see what your talking about. I have not seen any evidence. Every thread has people saying it's not true.
Can you help me find one?
You mean this one? The pod is definitivly picking on live tissue at one moment. But of course you can turn it the way as "the sps was already dead" like l have anticipated. Thats the thing: you have already made up your mind, same as the other people (all experts btw) in the threads that are saying "thats not true, trust me". No video will change your mind no matter how good it is.
Just one thing: there are thousands of amphipod species. Most are omnivores. Some are predators. How do you know what's in other people tanks?
If someone is saying "they are eating my corals, i have seen it" there is a very high chance that it is ...actually true. Mind blowing i know.

Back