Just for Fun - The Perfect Spectrum

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after a long time of burning coral with leds, I turned down my ocean revive black boxes to 8% blue and 1% white and growth exploded, not near MH/VHO combination, but more growth then ive seen with leds.

210g tank, and I added 2 x 5' UV bars reefbreeders new UV bars. Love the blacklight pop in morning and dawn effect.

But growth seems to have increased, over mainly blue and white with a hint of other colors.

Im probably matching your chart now pretty close, and I think its a great balance for my LPS

I don't know much about those lights in particular, but it's been said that those black boxes lenses are too focused for their suggested mounting height. Have you PAR'd out your tank?

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You for This Appreciate the time. Will study when I get to break out my Apogee

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's been said that those black boxes lenses are too focused for their suggested mounting height. Have you PAR'd out your tank?
A lot of things have been said, but reality is, most light manufacturers use the same ones. Mine are 8" above the water with no real dark spots or shading, and it appears pretty even. I dont use par meters when I can watch growth levels.
And that mistake is why I wasted 5 ish years cooking coral instead of growing it.

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of things have been said, but reality is, most light manufacturers use the same ones. Mine are 8" above the water with no real dark spots or shading, and it appears pretty even. I dont use par meters when I can watch growth levels.
And that mistake is why I wasted 5 ish years cooking coral instead of growing it.

That's a fine way to do it, but a PAR meter would be a better objective measurement.

Depending on those lenses in your LED fixture -- a 90 degree reflector, mounted 12 inches above the water surface, the beam spot is 24 inches wide. So it's better to keep many of those lights mounted way above the tank. EcoTech's beam lenses ( I think 120 degrees) are very wide, so mounting them 8 inches above the tank makes sense for that fixture, but even WWC mounts there's well above 12 inches for even more spread, which also reduces intensity -- reduces burning as well.

So depending how wide your tank is, you might want to consider raising them up.

1651851213776.png

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a fine way to do it, but a PAR meter would be a better objective measurement.

Depending on those lenses in your LED fixture -- a 90 degree reflector, mounted 12 inches above the water surface, the beam spot is 24 inches wide. So it's better to keep many of those lights mounted way above the tank. EcoTech's beam lenses ( I think 120 degrees) are very wide, so mounting them 8 inches above the tank makes sense for that fixture, but even WWC mounts there's well above 12 inches for even more spread, which also reduces intensity -- reduces burning as well.

So depending how wide your tank is, you might want to consider raising them up.

1651851213776.png
Good advise. But I have a canopy and there within an inch of the top. And I'm getting perfect growth and coverage with them turned down. No spot lighting. Or shadows

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo my FAV TOOL spectra is upgrading (now called RAYCAL) but having growing pains.
I'm helping them troubleshoot the issues but it gave me time to rethink a "perfect" light based on a lot of past and present thinking.
It still breaks some rules but it is relatively cheap/watt and should provide more than enough power.
K temp warmest is 6500k (whites only 98CRI). 100% should be around 7500K.
VERY shallow reef.. ;)
nm's are flexible really if someone cared to modify it..
It's an old style blue/white unit with 120 degree spread.
No fussing with green ect.

Still little IR and the UV diodes would need to be replaced far sooner than any others on board BUT since this is FOR FUN..THIS is my fun..
Enjoy..

2022perfectspectrum.JPG

* SIMULATION DATA
----------------------------------------
Luminous flux : 18,501 lm
Radiant flux : 78,981 mW
PPF : 330 umol/s
TCP : 7750 K
CRI : 90
λp : 472 nm
Color : #D4E0FF

* PERFORMANCE @ 30cm & 120° (compulsory)
Irradiance : 93.1 W/m²/s
Illuminance : 21,811 lx
PPFD : 389 umol/m²/s

by SPECTRA 1.0β @ 1.023world

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo my FAV TOOL spectra is upgrading (now called RAYCAL) but having growing pains.
I'm helping them troubleshoot the issues but it gave me time to rethink a "perfect" light based on a lot of past and present thinking.
It still breaks some rules but it is relatively cheap/watt and should provide more than enough power.
K temp warmest is 6500k (whites only 98CRI). 100% should be around 7500K.
VERY shallow reef.. ;)
nm's are flexible really if someone cared to modify it..
It's an old style blue/white unit with 120 degree spread.
No fussing with green ect.

Still little IR and the UV diodes would need to be replaced far sooner than any others on board BUT since this is FOR FUN..THIS is my fun..
Enjoy..

2022perfectspectrum.JPG

I really like the COB idea because of the full spectrum but they look like they are pumping a lot of red spectrum. I am hoping one day those will get a bit 'cooler' to knock down some of that red. Love that you have cyan.

Interesting how the G6 is also going for more full spectrum LED's like you did to fill in the green portion and eliminating the the cyan and lime channels on their g5 pro and blue. Which they must have something different than what data is available on spectra.

Here's my proposed mixing list with out getting too crazy in the 500 to 600 range, which obviously adds a lot of cost, but could be done with an amber led. It's really difficult to fill in the blue spectrum in the 470 to 500 range, so its like you almost need to spec out each 10 nm

* MIXING LIST
LED UV (400nm) [120°] x1
LED Violet (420nm) [120°] x1
LED RoyalBlue (440nm) [120°] x1
LED Blue (470nm) [120°] x1
LED Blue (480nm) [120°] x1
LED Cyan (490nm) [120°] x2
LED Cyan (500nm) [120°] x1
LED CoolWhite (8000K) [120°] x4
LED NeutralWhite (4000K) [120°] x2

* SIMULATION DATA
Luminous flux : 1,001 lm
Radiant flux : 5,080 mW
PPF : 20.4 umol/s
TCP : ‑ K
CRI : 42
λp : 453 nm
Color : #6793FF

* PERFORMANCE @ 60cm
Irradiance : 1.5 W/m²/s
Illuminance : 295 lx
PPFD : 6 umol/m²/s

1652717625053.png

I currently use one ReeFi Uno on my tank, which the spectrum looks vastly different from this one, but to me would be perfect if Reefi-labs would add just a few more 470's and a couple of 500's to round everything out.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the COB idea because of the full spectrum but they look like they are pumping a lot of red spectrum. I am hoping one day those will get a bit 'cooler' to knock down some of that red. Love that you have cyan.

Interesting how the G6 is also going for more full spectrum LED's like you did to fill in the green portion and eliminating the the cyan and lime channels on their g5 pro and blue. Which they must have something different than what data is available on spectra.

Here's my proposed mixing list with out getting too crazy in the 500 to 600 range, which obviously adds a lot of cost, but could be done with an amber led. It's really difficult to fill in the blue spectrum in the 470 to 500 range, so its like you almost need to spec out each 10 nm

* MIXING LIST
LED UV (400nm) [120°] x1
LED Violet (420nm) [120°] x1
LED RoyalBlue (440nm) [120°] x1
LED Blue (470nm) [120°] x1
LED Blue (480nm) [120°] x1
LED Cyan (490nm) [120°] x2
LED Cyan (500nm) [120°] x1
LED CoolWhite (8000K) [120°] x4
LED NeutralWhite (4000K) [120°] x2

* SIMULATION DATA
Luminous flux : 1,001 lm
Radiant flux : 5,080 mW
PPF : 20.4 umol/s
TCP : ‑ K
CRI : 42
λp : 453 nm
Color : #6793FF

* PERFORMANCE @ 60cm
Irradiance : 1.5 W/m²/s
Illuminance : 295 lx
PPFD : 6 umol/m²/s

I currently use one ReeFi Uno on my tank, which the spectrum looks vastly different from this one, but to me would be perfect if Reefi-labs would add just a few more 470's and a couple of 500's to round everything out.
I did the lazy mans calculus on the light..Reds high compared to say an Iwasaki 6500k but a bit lower than "daylight"

Remember these are relative measurements based on a peak spectrum so it isn't "actual" numbers of photons.
Like if I dimmed the cobs 50% and ran the "blue at 100% my red/blue ratio decreases.
As to Radion taking out the cyan, more a visual than growth thing I suspect.
Everything I read leads me to "believe" cyan is quite efficient for coral photosynthesis.
Peridinin/chl a complex thing..
At least ON PAPER.. ;)

iwasakinewpatternpercent.JPG

Last edited:

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the lazy mans calculus on the light..Reds high compared to say an Iwasaki 6500k but a bit lower than "daylight"

Remember these are relative measurements based on a peak spectrum so it isn't "actual" numbers of photons.
Like if I dimmed the cobs 50% and ran the "blue at 100% my red/blue ratio decreases.

I still mulling around on Spectra and figuring things out. It's a powerful free tool with some guidance. It's a great way to learn about spectrum and what the diodes actually contribute -- at least on paper.

As to Radion taking out the cyan, more a visual than growth thing I suspect.
Everything I read leads me to "believe" cyan is quite efficient for coral photosynthesis.
Peridinin/chl a complex thing..
At least ON PAPER..
I know there's so much debate on what's needed and I am by no means an expert, but the closer we achieve spectrally at a given at depth, in my mind at least, the best for coral health.

I've looked in Spectra LED's from Japan and they are trying to closely emulate spectrum at depth, which is the approach I'd like to see more DIY'ers and eventually manufactures in the US and Europe try to do.

It's not great for CRI as far as having something really peaking at 500 nm as it does in the ocean, and it doesn't look like our highly blue 450 nm neon color reef tanks either, but I think it's the approach we should take for coral health. But again, it's LED's and if we want it to look like a G5 or Orphek or whatever, we can change it to suit our viewing pleasure when needed.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really difficult to fill in the blue spectrum in the 470 to 500 range, so its like you almost need to spec out each 10 nm
Kyocera did their best..

Violet pump with RGB phosphors.. sound familiar? :)

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW: "my" light is approximating 1M in depth. RED line.. ;)
iwasaki1m.JPG

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kyocera did their best..

Violet pump with RGB phosphors.. sound familiar? :)

To me that's a great start. Violet pump and RGB phosphors -- are you referring to traditional fluorescent? To my understanding, that's how that works.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me that's a great start. Violet pump and RGB phosphors -- are you referring to traditional fluorescent? To my understanding, that's how that works.
Any mercury based lighting though it is more uv and rgb emitting phosphors or halide salts.
There are other peaks that are used though, like green. Principals are very similar though.

Violet/UV diodes still need improvements in efficiency and lifespan. It is certainly an " active" area with implications across the err spectrum . ;)
Royal blues/ blues are still king.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPECTRA. now RAYCAL is fixed..so far.
Fixed chl c now vs chl b. B shows up for fw..
The SCORE needs to be turned on in the setup.
raycalfixed.JPG

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any mercury based lighting though it is more uv and rgb emitting phosphors or halide salts.
There are other peaks that are used though, like green. Principals are very similar though.

Violet/UV diodes still need improvements in efficiency and lifespan. It is certainly an " active" area with implications across the err spectrum . ;)
Royal blues/ blues are still king.
oh lol duh, of course MH. MH is no longer on my radar any more. It's just not a tenable tech anymore. We will be able to far surpass MH in the near future and in many ways we already have.

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPECTRA. now RAYCAL is fixed..so far.
Fixed chl c now vs chl b. B shows up for fw..
The SCORE needs to be turned on in the setup.
raycalfixed.JPG

I saw that, and they removed on 1.0 ver many of the LED's from cree, for example. On 2.0 there's no options to compare models of LED's. Kind of disappointing to see, but its a free tool, so I can't complain.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that, and they removed on 1.0 ver many of the LED's from cree, for example. On 2.0 there's no options to compare models of LED's. Kind of disappointing to see, but its a free tool, so I can't complain.
Still has some issues.....
On a different track:
There are tools to generate data on specific diodes. Or combinations of diodes but limited to 10.

Yea the removal of led brands is annoying but the data is 10 years old.
Still....some are available to buy.

For my own use I generated some data for regular blue and cyan rebels since they are easily and relatively cheaply found on starboards.
There are different bins soo it is still a " guess"

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly fixed..one thing left unfixed..
We have examined the phenomenon you mentioned and found that the red wavelengths in the 750-780nm range were affecting the CRI.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 43 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back