Just getting started (powerhead question)

NeonNomad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone

I am just getting into the hobby and I am about to start my first tank cycle. But the question I have is about powerheads specifically the Hydor 3G-Third Generation Koralia Pump, 1950 GPH. I have a 29 gallon bio cube am I okay with only 1 powerhead or should I get 2 (1 for each side)?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone

I am just getting into the hobby and I am about to start my first tank cycle. But the question I have is about powerheads specifically the Hydor 3G-Third Generation Koralia Pump, 1950 GPH. I have a 29 gallon bio cube am I okay with only 1 powerhead or should I get 2 (1 for each side)?
Well, first off, WELCOME!!! You should head on over to the Meet & Greet Forum and introduce yourself there. Might even consider posting your question along with your intro.
Regarding flow in your tank, it all dep[ends on what inhabitants that you would like to keep and the aquascape that you have that will determine what the flow should be/ or how the scape would affect the flow. Once you have that figured out, move forward from there. Different inhabitants will require different flow rates and aquascape affects flow characteristics and over time, coral growth does as well.

OP
OP
NeonNomad

NeonNomad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, first off, WELCOME!!! You should head on over to the Meet & Greet Forum and introduce yourself there. Might even consider posting your question along with your intro.
Regarding flow in your tank, it all dep[ends on what inhabitants that you would like to keep and the aquascape that you have that will determine what the flow should be/ or how the scape would affect the flow. Once you have that figured out, move forward from there. Different inhabitants will require different flow rates and aquascape affects flow characteristics and over time, coral growth does as well.
Thank you I will definitely consider everything you stated!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back