Skimmer question

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I am new to the hobby and am in the process of starting up my first tank. So far I have salt and sand in, but no live rock or a powerhead. I am trying to budget as much as I can for this build because I’m still in school so money isn’t easy to come by.

For my current filtration, I have a filter sock and a sponge in my sump. (Also bio media) the plan is definitely to get a skimmer down the road, but I need save up for it.

the next time I go to my lfs I want to get live rock, a powerhead and some clownfish (maybe hermit crabs too) my question is can I run the tank with just these fish in it without a skimmer? I have time for bi weekly water changes. Before I get any other fish I will definitely get the skimmer though, so all it will have is the clowns and hermits.

Tank is 65 gal (36 by 24 by 18)

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, it is not a problem - just stay on top of your husbandry maintenance and water changes as you will have little filtration at hand.

I would test parameters weekly to make sure everything is in check.

Are you sure your tank is ready for livestock yet? Whether it is properly cycled? :) Chances are when you add your rock (.. if it's dry!) that you will restart the cycle so I would not recommend buying fish the same day as you buy rock.

I am running three tanks without skimmers - I am however doing 20% water changes every week.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum! Have you cycled the tank yet? I have always tried to get rocks in before the sand, but it is your call. Having healthy bacteria will lead to long term health of the entire tank. Most reefers frown on adding animals too soon. It could stress them and you. Skimmers are often used as a primary filter but not always. See if your lfs or local club has any pre owned

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above, add the rock first, let it cycle, then add livestock. A powerhead is vital, 2 is always better, especially for a larger tank like yours.

The skimmer is not a vital piece of equipment, rock and flow is much more important, and often underestimated.

I have 3 tanks at home, only one has a skimmer.

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
images.jpeg

OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, it is not a problem - just stay on top of your husbandry maintenance and water changes as you will have little filtration at hand.

I would test parameters weekly to make sure everything is in check.

Are you sure your tank is ready for livestock yet? Whether it is properly cycled? :) Chances are when you add your rock (.. if it's dry!) that you will restart the cycle so I would not recommend buying fish the same day as you buy rock.

I am running three tanks without skimmers - I am however doing 20% water changes every week.
Yes, I will totally make sure my parameters are in check.

My cycle has just started, but my plan is to go to my lfs sometime after Christmas, so that should give me some time. Ill go in two separate trips, thanks for the advice. Now that I think about it i'm going to need some time to scape my tank and I don't want the clownfish to be just sitting in the bag while I do that

thanks!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I will totally make sure my parameters are in check.

My cycle has just started, but my plan is to go to my lfs sometime after Christmas, so that should give me some time. Ill go in two separate trips, thanks for the advice. Now that I think about it i'm going to need some time to scape my tank and I don't want the clownfish to be just sitting in the bag while I do that

thanks!
Just being curious here, any particular reason why you're not cycling your tank with the scape in? :)

OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just being curious here, any particular reason why you're not cycling your tank with the scape in? :)
Well, at my lfs live rock is 11 dollars per pound which would be around 660 just for the scape, and I just don't have that money yet. should I hold off on the cycle? its not too late to stop, It's only just started.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, at my lfs live rock is 11 dollars per pound which would be around 660 just for the scape, and I just don't have that money yet. should I hold off on the cycle? its not too late to stop, It's only just started.
You are not cycling anything except the glass. Cycling means the process of growing nitrifying bacteria, the bacteria lives on the surface area of everything, but you have nothing in the tank. Rock provides the majority of the surface area, because of all the little holes ad crevices. Your tank will cycle for real when you add the rock.

At $11 per pound, it is the price of wet live rock, this rock is already cycled and when you add this rock you can add livestock right away, because the bacteria is already on the rock.

Dry rock is about half the price, but takes time to cycle the tank, then take more time to develop biodiversity on the rocks.

OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not cycling anything except the glass. Cycling means the process of growing nitrifying bacteria, the bacteria lives on the surface area of everything, but you have nothing in the tank. Rock provides the majority of the surface area, because of all the little holes ad crevices. Your tank will cycle for real when you add the rock.

At $11 per pound, it is the price of wet live rock, this rock is already cycled and when you add this rock you can add livestock right away, because the bacteria is already on the rock.

Dry rock is about half the price, but takes time to cycle the tank, then take more time to develop biodiversity on the rocks.
alright, I do want to go with live rock, so I won't worry about the cycle now.

thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back