Just got finished taking my saltwater test results. Could use some advice!

deaniscool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my first time testing water from this tank that I've had running at my house for approximately 4 days. The person I bought it from had it running for ~1 month or so. Unfortunately my Nitrate is really high, but the pH, Ammonia and Nitrite look O.K. to me. Was wondering what you guys think, and wondering about any recommendations for next steps. The tank came with one damselfish, not sure the breed, and he seems to still be doing fine. There is some algae growth starting which I'm assuming is from my high Nitrate levels. Salt is at 1.025.
esqGQ82.jpg

TgkbzDE.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one damsel I believe he mentioned that.
The numbers are not bad but I would concentrate on getting ammonia and the Nitrate under control a bit more.
Can you post a picture from your setup?
It will give us a better idea how it all looks like.
Thank you.

OP
OP
deaniscool

deaniscool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Diesel Sorry for the delayed response, 20 Gallon. Living in it is a Damsel, clown, green emerald crab, 4 nasarius snails and two chromi's that were just added. I did a 20% water change today, I am going to do a 20% change each day this week I think hoping to get phosphates down. I am running a filter, a NS-80 Reef octopus HOB Skimmer, Aqua Clear filter, hydor 240 gph on the left side, on the right side I'm not sure what size power head, it's significantly bigger. Here is a picture I took earlier:
RwkUwTY.jpg

wDnLDGf.jpg

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you doing great so far.
Hold off on everyday a water change.
IMO you tank isn't cycled all the way through.
Keep a eye out on the ammonia and nitrite for now.
If you start seeing some diatoms you can do a water change of 1 or 2 gallons.

OP
OP
deaniscool

deaniscool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you doing great so far.
Hold off on everyday a water change.
IMO you tank isn't cycled all the way through.
Keep a eye out on the ammonia and nitrite for now.
If you start seeing some diatoms you can do a water change of 1 or 2 gallons.

Thanks! That means a lot. I am just kind of worried about the nitrate levels, which is why I wanted to do a daily water change with local fish store water so that I can lower them. My tap water is high I believe. I want to get a RO/DI installed eventually.

I added a small coral today as well.

When I purchased the tank it was running for about a month with no filter or protein skimmer, and the guy said that it had already cycled. I will hold off adding anything else for a while, and see how this coral and the other fish do. Although the Damsel doesn't take too kindly to the Chromi's :p. Another slight problem I have with my protein skimmer is that it's adding a lot of micro bubbles. If I had a sump/refugium I'm sure this problem wouldn't be as bad. I've tried tooling around with the different features of it and haven't found anything that reduces them except for turning it off. Maybe I will just run it at night while I'm at work, what do you think?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate aren't important to your fish.
It can create a nice algae garden.
Yet if you want corals in the future you have to bring down to a easily to maintain level of 2ppm

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Skimmer is still about to break in if it releases Micro bubbles in your tank.
It can take several days to do so.
Google and read about how and why it's breaking in.

OP
OP
deaniscool

deaniscool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Diesel that's what's I've read about the skimmer, needs to break in. I've only had it about 2 days yet. Still giving it a chance. I'll work on bringing the nitrates down in the near future.

OP
OP
deaniscool

deaniscool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to match salinty, temperature, and ph.
What if I got my fish in a separate bucket with old tank water, and dripped them to the levels of the new stuff? I will be getting the water from the local store's running tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I got my fish in a separate bucket with old tank water, and dripped them to the levels of the new stuff? I will be getting the water from the local store's running tank.

That sounds fine.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 50 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back