Just got my Hanna Phosphorus checker

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well at the LFS a few weeks ago my Phosphate was 0.03 with Salifert. Today I received my Hanna Phosphorus checker. I need to add phosphates to my tank at least a little. Picked up some reef roids the other day cause I knew I was low on nitrates 2-5. So Hanna says 0 really could be as high as 0.013. I don’t feel comfortable adding even a goby to 3g total volume so I will stick with feeding the corals at least once a week. But very lightly been using an old Salifert scoop with 5 or so drops of water and targeting around the corals. We will see what happens and will watch phosphates and nitrates. Anyone have additional advice I don’t want to have to dose if I can keep from it.
E9773104-6C17-4E08-A21E-59DD812BF973.jpeg

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it says zero it might be just being taken up "used up" by alage if you have any ....so theres that. What corals do you have? You shouldnt have to dose with only 3 gallons just keep up with regular water changes

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well at the LFS a few weeks ago my Phosphate was 0.03 with Salifert. Today I received my Hanna Phosphorus checker. I need to add phosphates to my tank at least a little. Picked up some reef roids the other day cause I knew I was low on nitrates 2-5. So Hanna says 0 really could be as high as 0.013. I don’t feel comfortable adding even a goby to 3g total volume so I will stick with feeding the corals at least once a week. But very lightly been using an old Salifert scoop with 5 or so drops of water and targeting around the corals. We will see what happens and will watch phosphates and nitrates. Anyone have additional advice I don’t want to have to dose if I can keep from it.
E9773104-6C17-4E08-A21E-59DD812BF973.jpeg
Reef roids are very high in phosphate.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it says zero it might be just being taken up "used up" by alage if you have any ....so theres that. What corals do you have? You shouldnt have to dose with only 3 gallons just keep up with regular water changes
I don't have any algae that I can see at least. No GHA, cyano or anything. Right now I have a birdsnest, Acan, and cyphastrea. Saturday is my water change day will do 1 gallon water change but if I need to do more I can. Right now the coral are not using much Alk, or Ca so 1 gallon has been keeping those stable.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know but they do need to come up a little. Thinking once a week at 1/5 the recommended dose wont be bad but I will watch the parameters and adjust accordingly.
Exactly why I mentioned them.

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they probably getting what they need an water change has been enough to keep that stable

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use plain baking soda to raise your alk without spending much on dosing products, or pickling lime and do kalk if need be in topoff later on...

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use plain baking soda to raise your alk without spending much on dosing products, or pickling lime and do kalk if need be in topoff later on...
ALk has been stable at 8.9 so not too worried about that right now but yes baking soda and pickling lime I have read about. Have plenty of that around the house (baking soda). Going to watch things and I know we had a pretty good discussion last night about fish poo vs feeding (still laughing). Could feed and then do a big water change if I decide to go down that road. Daughter keep asking about a fish would love a clown goby but I know they nip at polyps.

Back