Just how influential are you?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How many non-reefers have you convinced to become “REEFERS” ?

2. And what was it that took them over the edge?

For me, I can recall 3 guys. Sam, Lee and David. Lee and Sam are no longer in the hobby.
David though is rockin it with a 180g reef, chiller, Kessils etc. Beautiful tank in the wall! David had multiple tanks as a kid. He wanted back in. I helped. What say you? :D

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not convinced anyone to join the hobby. If anything I've convinced people not to join. I've had a few people at the local PetCo talk to me about keeping saltwater fish because their kid wants a Nemo. I generally talk them out of it.
Wait that's being influential isn't it, just not in the way you intended?

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve definitely planted many seeds. I think the price tag keeps scaring them off. That or maybe it’s the initial start up know how.
Hey, seeds are known to grow!

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The information can be a lot to take in at once. That’s why I suggest AIO for beginners
All in One setups have become so popular. A great option for new hobbyists.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any. I think my friends just think to themselves, “why would I do all that work and spend all that money when I can just come over and look at it whenever I want?”
That’s the difference between us and them. We love or put up with the work and justify or ignore the $money$. Reef On!!!

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the late 80s I talked several friends into the reefing hobby after they saw my tank.
Now I'm waiting until my tank is fully rocking so I can reach out to them again and see if anyone bites.
I hear ya G. My buddy Lee back in the late 80s, early 90s started a tank then lost interest. I’ve lost touch touch with him but my tank then sure looked a lot different than my tank today. Lol!!!!!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya G. My buddy Lee back in the late 80s, early 90s started a tank then lost interest. I’ve lost touch touch with him but my tank then sure looked a lot different than my tank today. Lol!!!!!
I have a friend who started his tank after me, he cracked his tank a year into it and then gave up, I recently spoke with him and he told me he still wished he had restarted, he has no idea I restarted mine.
Waiting to blow his doors off lol.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not convinced anyone to join the hobby. If anything I've convinced people not to join. I've had a few people at the local PetCo talk to me about keeping saltwater fish because their kid wants a Nemo. I generally talk them out of it.
Wait that's being influential isn't it, just not in the way you intended?
There’s a happy, thriving clownfish out there who owes you his life. You know, I have a Picasso Clown that gets referred to as “Nemo” by friends kids. Excuse me! Nemo probably cost $7.99

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who started his tank after me, he cracked his tank a year into it and then gave up, I recently spoke with him and he told me he still wished he had restarted, he has no idea I restarted mine.
Waiting to blow his doors off lol.
Like planning a vacation to Disneyland!!! Keep us informed. Lol

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gotten 5 or 6 people into the hobby, I don’t know if or how many of them are still in the hobby. One is dead, and I’ve fallen out of touch with the others (I’ve moved around a lot).
Hey that’s quite the crowd! They must have been impressed!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a happy, thriving clownfish out there who owes you his life. You know, I have a Picasso Clown that gets referred to as “Nemo” by friends kids. Excuse me! Nemo probably cost $7.99
Sadly, probably not, because the next parent whose kid wanted a $15 "Nemo" probably bought it and quickly killed it.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, probably not, because the next parent whose kid wanted a $15 "Nemo" probably bought it and quickly killed it.
Well at least they acclimated it correctly when they got home……You know a fish bowl, same temp water as the lfs and table salt. :confused:

Back