Just how influential are you?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One. 2 one of my friends calls me up I want to start a sw please help. Hes got a 55g up and going. Second is Page my boss. He calls me up can you set up a tank in my office. Yep not problems. Just keeps handing me cash lol

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty bad for this actually (Or good at it depending on how you look at it) :p
Maybe it is “good” that you’re not too influential. The more reefers, the more demand for products, the more demand for products, the high the prices. o_O

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it is “good” that you’re not too influential. The more reefers, the more demand for products, the more demand for products, the high the prices. o_O
The more the demand the more people will make and the more manufactures. Prices should fall. This is a very nitch market making prices high.
Look at fw. More demand a wide selection from many manufacturers. The prices are lower

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more the demand the more people will make and the more manufactures. Prices should fall. This is a very nitch market making prices high.
Look at fw. More demand a wide selection from many manufacturers. The prices are lower
Point well taken! With the hobby growing and items from lights to livestock going through the roof, I think I simplified it a bit too much. And you’re right also with your statement “Prices should fall” Maybe that will be the path for new reefers?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve only convinced one or two.

Looking at this question from a different angle, I once convinced a customer to purchase an entire AI Vega setup, including controller and mounting arm and hanging kit, after only coming in for a halide bulb. Let’s just say the receipt did not have the full amount spent in case the wife found out.

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How many non-reefers have you convinced to become “REEFERS” ?

2. And what was it that took them over the edge?

For me, I can recall 3 guys. Sam, Lee and David. Lee and Sam are no longer in the hobby.
David though is rockin it with a 180g reef, chiller, Kessils etc. Beautiful tank in the wall! David had multiple tanks as a kid. He wanted back in. I helped. What say you? :D
1 person so far and it took me showing them a picture of I think P dubs tank or someones for him to be inspired into this hobby

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 person so far and it took me showing them a picture of I think P dubs tank or someones for him to be inspired into this hobby
Quite inspiring!!! An “influential” shout out to P dub! Not to leave you out from this! Congrats.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve only convinced one or two.

Looking at this question from a different angle, I once convinced a customer to purchase an entire AI Vega setup, including controller and mounting arm and hanging kit, after only coming in for a halide bulb. Let’s just say the receipt did not have the full amount spent in case the wife found out.
I too am an AI fan!!! I’m planning on getting a couple of AI Prime for a new frag tank. Those have got to run…..what, at least $20 each. ;)

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am an AI fan!!! I’m planning on getting a couple of AI Prime for a new frag tank. Those have got to run…..what, at least $20 each. ;)
If you’re lucky you can find them for $15! In all seriousness, I love the AI Primes. I’ve had such good success with them.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve honestly lost count. Being I used to work in a LFS I can tell you many started because of me. I can tell you I scared just as many off. Main thing was price tag and then “complicated” equipment (I.e. I don’t want to learn about it or there’s too many parts)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve definitely planted many seeds. I think the price tag keeps scaring them off. That or maybe it’s the initial start up know how.
I would say this is very true! Even for me it took a few years of researching before I felt I had wrapped my head around managing even the simplest of things like mixing salt and understanding the different types of equipment. The cost also seemed daunting at first until I had a clear picture of what I needed as the fundamental equipment vs what was more of a "nice to have". When I tell people about getting into a saltwater tank they look at me like they're deer caught in the headlights which is probably what I looked like as well.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re lucky you can find them for $15! In all seriousness, I love the AI Primes. I’ve had such good success with them.
That’s good to here. I’ve got a very large green toadstool leather that I wish to frag and a new low boy 50g. Is just weeks away from reality. Two of those lights would do the trick.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to here. I’ve got a very large green toadstool leather that I wish to frag and a new low boy 50g. Is just weeks away from reality. Two of those lights would do the trick.
For sure! I had a really nice looking softie/LPS Nuvo 10 that was thriving under a prime. Also had a 30 gallon that was my all time favorite tank that was doing well under a hydra 26 (same puck) before a seam went on the tank

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve honestly lost count. Being I used to work in a LFS I can tell you many started because of me. I can tell you I scared just as many off. Main thing was price tag and then “complicated” equipment (I.e. I don’t want to learn about it or there’s too many parts)
Wow, nice job!!! Talk about a captive audience!

BVF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main hobby is bonsai, and it seems to have a lot of crossover with reefers. So far I have been most affirming to those who have made the decision to get out of reefing. In that group I feel like the only guy who hasn’t seen Godzilla yet and don’t know why everyone else is running the other way.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe two, but it was toward saltwater.

I used to maintain a FOWLR tank in a local campground. One young employee really liked it and wanted to get a big SW tank for his house. I tossed some of my dated books at him and gave him a few pointers on equipment. Then the guy who actually took the tank away, he was into FW and lost all his stuff in a fire and was getting back into aquariums. His cousin had a reef or SW, so I convinced him to take the tank away. I gave him the log book and a schematic of the plumbing. I dumped a bunch of extra equipment on him as well. I doubt he actually has the tank going, he seemed to have a lot on his plate at the time.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only talked people into not joining the hobby. I let them know the expenses, maintenance, headaches, etc.
You’re right those things exist. And there are those who are presently in the hobby who will at some point know they shouldn’t be. It’s really not for everyone.

Back