Just pick up a red goniapora

bichirfreak

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 28, 2014
Messages
139
Reaction score
3
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any do and dont's I need to be aware of its a small about 1"-1 1/2"
 
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1407972004.439746.jpg
just placed it
 
It is actually hardy. I have a piece. It was about the size of ours when purchased. About 5 years and a few tank mishaps it is still looking good.

They like moderate flow and moderate lighting. Move yours until it finds it happy spot. I feed mine twice a week with powder and liquid foods in water column. Turn off strong pumps maybe only one low pump. Just enough flow to keep water column slighting moving. They are basically filter feeders so they get food from water column.
 
I have 3 goniopora
started with a small Metalic green about half the size of a Gold ball, maybe a little wider
another green one size of a tennis ball closed, and when it opens its huge.
Then a red colony about 6+ inches.
I hardly ever feed them... i have strong lights and make sure they get Low/moderate flow and try to change the direction of the flow every few days.
I have had some brown jelly on my smallest one that literally ate the center of the Goni, I did a peroxide dip 2 times and that seemed to work. its been about 8 months since that happened.
When i say hardly ever feed, i mean literally... maybe 2 months will go by before i decide to give it a treat and use a baster to squirt some phyto over them with all power heads turned off. I honestly dont think they need it with good lights and good flow.
I wouldnt consider myself an expert at all on them, but i do have 3 of them.
I did have a small purple frag Goni, that didnt live long. It got the Brown jelly too and Dipping did not help it.
I have read in some places to make sure no air gets trapped in its skeleton. So with my current ones if i ever move them or remove them for a dip, when i enter them back in i make sure i rotate it all over to let the air out.

Just my experience with them.

I actually was thinking about trading my Red Goni, its in the trading live stock forum
 
Last edited:

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new