Just seeded. When should I see something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods and Phyto arrived yesterday. Emptied the pods and fed per instructions.

When should I start to see them in the tank?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually see tiny little white pods in my nano. I used live rock that evidently came pre seeded. There's nothing feeding on them(coral only) so their population just rises and falls with excess nutrients...

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I have no corals and fish yet, I was hoping to see something in my tank moving.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat phyto & leftover bits of food etc. keep adding phyto and a little bit of fish food. You will see them as population grows, they are tiny white specks

Yep, I see them on the glass. Teeny tiny little white bugs. Check at night when the lights are out with a flashlight.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what kind of pods I had before but they were massive. I ordered the 5280 pack from Algaebarn and when it came in I thought the bag was empty they were so tiny lol. I'm guessing they will get big at some point but who knows. The ones before were half a grain of rice size and burly. They would cause zoas to close when they walked on them lol

Illusions

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I ordered 2 bags of the 5280 pods for a 150 gallon 2 weeks ago ( yet they suggest 1 bag only seeds 45 gal, so I should have bought more.) But I now see them in the overflow. They're getting bigger everyday!... Just give it some time and you should see them populate.... Good luck

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find them easiest to see at night but if I look closely I can see them with the lights on crawling on rocks etc. They were on the glass for a while and then they seemed to all move into the rocks. Use a flashlight an hour after the lights go off and you can prob seem them crawling on the rocks

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find them easiest to see at night but if I look closely I can see them with the lights on crawling on rocks etc. They were on the glass for a while and then they seemed to all move into the rocks. Use a flashlight an hour after the lights go off and you can prob seem them crawling on the rocks

It's been six days since I seeded. When did you start noticing them?

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm I would say it was between the 2-3 week mark when I actively just saw them everywhere. I am sure they were there earlier but it seemed like at one point they just exploded all over.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm I would say it was between the 2-3 week mark when I actively just saw them everywhere. I am sure they were there earlier but it seemed like at one point they just exploded all over.

Thanks

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get up at 3 AM and shine a flashlight into the tank. If they are there, you may see them then.

Amphipods are bigger and easier to see. I find them in my filter sock all the time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.2%
Back