Just set up my first reef tank.

Tank is looking nice and dirty after two days with the new SBOX light.
Should I:
a) do a 50% water change (to get rid of ~1ppm PO3 from 1.5 gallons of treated tap water, oops)
b) turn on the protein skimmer
c) add more bumble bee snails!
d) stop feeding twice a day
e) do all of the above
f) let it get nice and dirty(do nothing).
Turbo snail is still on the egg!

IMG_20180715_213343706.jpg
 
Can you find the clown goby? Any suggestions on getting him back in the display tank? ... or should we just leave him back there? The two clowns were giving him a hard time.

IMG_20180720_150017353_HDR.jpg
 
That gsp has really taken over that rock!
Looks good
Thanks! Yeah it grows pretty fast. I glued some on the back of the tank to the left of the heater. Basically as far away from the intakes as possible.
We plan to sell the egg shaped rock once it takes off on the back of the tank.
 
The first tank is the best memory we all have in this hobby !

2c18001c9ac6db60.jpg
 
Update: Woke up to severe bleaching of bird's nest coral(see picture). I think it could be STN/RTN (base had been white for a week or so), low salinity (I'll explain below), or the clown goby (%$#%@~!).
IMG_20190629_125332081.jpg


Salinity: I replaced my return pump back in May with Aquatop SWP-480 192GPH after failure of the factory pump (it had granulated carbon in it, maybe it's still okay?). This resulted in a water level increase in the tank. This led to a massive salt creep problem. This led (I think to a decrease in the salinity from 1.025 to 1.023).
IMG_20190629_125345953.jpg


Fixed it this morning with some plastic hose(see picture). I upped the water change from 0.5L/day to 1L/day and decreased the ATO refill rate from 0.7L/day to 0.2L/day. Will run it like this for 7 days to get an increase from 0.31 to 0.34ppt using 0.35ppt new salt water.
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=solve(40*.31+x*.35=40*.34,x)

Any thoughts?

Water parameters are here.
upload_2019-6-29_13-27-22.png
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new