just started AWC

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys.. ive just started auto water change 4 days ago and im using dd h20cean saltmix. is this normal after 4 days?its white in the bottom and bubbles all over. pls advice. thx :)

80079411_554667102042960_4051770485170503680_n.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like the salt mix hasn't totally dissolved. I keep a pump in my saltwater mixing container 24/7 constantly moving the water around.

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used a pump when mixing til it was all clear then removed it. 1st 2 days water was clear.

I suggest keeping a circulation pump in there mixing daily. Salt water can precipitate out or even go foul without circulation/ air exchange.

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest keeping a circulation pump in there mixing daily. Salt water can precipitate out or even go foul without circulation/ air exchange.
Will the heat cause any issue?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys.. ive just started auto water change 4 days ago and im using dd h20cean saltmix. is this normal after 4 days?its white in the bottom and bubbles all over. pls advice. thx :)

80079411_554667102042960_4051770485170503680_n.jpg

It is normal for many salt mixes to have solids on the bottom left over that will nto dissolve. it is mostly calcium carbonate. Here's mine:

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

from it:

Figure 1. The residue on the bottom of the plastic trash can that I use to mix Instant Ocean. I rarely clean it out. The solid is most likely calcium carbonate.​

1577116456919.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unless it is one of the few salt mixes with organics in it like reef crystals, salt mixes can sit unstirred just fine. In that case, it may need aeration to prevent reduced O2 from bacterial consumption of vitamins.

Mixing does not reduce precipitation. If anything, the heat of mixing can accelerate it.

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it is one of the few salt mixes with organics in it like reef crystals, salt mixes can sit unstirred just fine. In that case, it may need aeration to prevent reduced O2 from bacterial consumption of vitamins.

Mixing does not reduce precipitation. If anything, the heat of mixing can accelerate it.

Good to know - I had a batch of coral pro foul up when I first started and I have been mixing ever since.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed it too with IO salt. Randy I have noticed my molded storage container that holds my mixed SW is getting a yellow or beige tinge to it compared to the fresh water tank. Normal? or from the IO.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know - I had a batch of coral pro foul up when I first started and I have been mixing ever since.

Red Sea coral pro is one that specifically recommends no continuous heating or mixing due to precipitation of calcium carbonate, which is accelerated by heat. They have a video showing it, although I think it is set up to be a worst case.

Whether it happens in any given setup may depend on the home CO2 level, and home with high CO2 will give lower pH and won't be as inclined to precipitate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed it too with IO salt. Randy I have noticed my molded storage container that holds my mixed SW is getting a yellow or beige tinge to it compared to the fresh water tank. Normal? or from the IO.

Stuff precipitates. That can include metals like iron onto calcium carbonate which ends up tan colored a bit.

Mixes like Reef Crystals get brown crud a lot, and I'm not certain what exactly it is, but it is widely noted and I'd ignore it.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a powerhead set to come on an hour before my awc and then turn off after. That helps stir up any salt that wants to settle. Below is my 15 gallon reservoir. It last almost two weeks before needing topped off at a gallon a day and can be easily rinsed out if needed. It changes out the water over the course of an hour so no need for a heater either.

20191222_154316.jpg

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea coral pro is one that specifically recommends no continuous heating or mixing due to precipitation of calcium carbonate, which is accelerated by heat. They have a video showing it, although I think it is set up to be a worst case.

Whether it happens in any given setup may depend on the home CO2 level, and home with high CO2 will give lower pH and won't be as inclined to precipitate.

What I am referring too is that it got an odor when sitting while not being mixed similar to what I have seen in stagnant hydroponics wastewater or my roommate's turtle tank with no aeration. This would have been caused by the organics?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a powerhead set to come on an hour before my awc and then turn off after. That helps stir up any salt that wants to settle. Below is my 15 gallon reservoir. It last almost two weeks before needing topped off at a gallon a day and can be easily rinsed out if needed. It changes out the water over the course of an hour so no need for a heater either.

20191222_154316.jpg

I would not do that. Salt doesn’t settle out of seawater. Once dissolved, no more mixing is useful. You are just stirring up calcium carbonate and other precipitates that’s are not useful.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am referring too is that it got an odor when sitting while not being mixed similar to what I have seen in stagnant hydroponics wastewater or my roommate's turtle tank with no aeration. This would have been caused by the organics?

yes, that is from decomposing organics.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do that. Salt doesn’t settle out of seawater. Once dissolved, no more mixing is useful. You are just stirring up calcium carbonate and other precipitates that’s are not useful.

I'm always learning from your posts. So just let it mix when I add the salt for a couple of hours and leave it alone until it needs to be refilled? I'm using Tropic Marine Pro so it mixes fast.

All of my parameters are monitored by apex/trident and I haven't noticed any swings. Everything is running super stable.

Edited: Thanks Randy, I will take your advice and let my new salt mix for 24 hours once added and then just leave the powerhead off for the next two weeks while it is being used. I use an mp40 to mix the salt and it does an awesome job. :D

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed my instant ocean for 24 h to fully dissolve and aerate (which is likely much longer than needed) and then let it sit for a month or more without stirring as my awc used it. :)

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back