just started AWC

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it is one of the few salt mixes with organics in it like reef crystals, salt mixes can sit unstirred just fine. In that case, it may need aeration to prevent reduced O2 from bacterial consumption of vitamins.

Mixing does not reduce precipitation. If anything, the heat of mixing can accelerate it.

Randy, If I am reading this correct IO reef crystals need to mixed in the AWC container. are we talking a few days a day or 24/7.
I will be setting of a AWC system on the new tank after the move. and I use reef crystals. just want to make sure I do it right :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystals has the potential for bacterial growth and to become anaerobic. I do not know for sure if that is ever or sometimes or never a true problem. Normal IO and most other mixes do not have any such possible problem.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystals has the potential for bacterial growth and to become anaerobic. I do not know for sure if that is ever or sometimes or never a true problem. Normal IO and most other mixes do not have any such possible problem.

thanks good to know. I add a power hear on a timer. any thought on the amount of daily mixing it should have?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks good to know. I add a power hear on a timer. any thought on the amount of daily mixing it should have?

Not sure, but 15 minutes might be enough to bring in sufficient O2 since the amount of organic matter is quite low.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 46 26.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 23.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 44 24.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back