Just started setting up my Evo 13.5

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my Fluval Evo 13.5 on 12/27/2020 and it looks awesome. Was going to down load pic but its just me opening the box. Today I got home from work and a box with 31lbs of reef safe rock was sitting at my door step, and the wife picked up the mail. The Hanna salinity tester was there for a double bonus. This tank is going to go in the spare bathroom counter top. Its going to have a mirror and a splash guard right behind it. I'm trying to figure out what would look better to paint the one side black so it has a clean black back drop or leave it so the tank can be viewed on 3 sides like intended, what would you guys do? (The back splash goes up approximately 2 to 3 inches.)

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby. I've never seen a fish tank in a bathroom. Ought to be something different, for sure.

OP
OP
A2dahlberg

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I keep two 10g fresh water planted tank with a 3g fish bowl on a shelf hutch thing (no clue what its called). I figured has easy water access for water changes and no one uses that bathroom unless they want to check out the tank in it.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my Fluval Evo 13.5 on 12/27/2020 and it looks awesome. Was going to down load pic but its just me opening the box. Today I got home from work and a box with 31lbs of reef safe rock was sitting at my door step, and the wife picked up the mail. The Hanna salinity tester was there for a double bonus. This tank is going to go in the spare bathroom counter top. Its going to have a mirror and a splash guard right behind it. I'm trying to figure out what would look better to paint the one side black so it has a clean black back drop or leave it so the tank can be viewed on 3 sides like intended, what would you guys do? (The back splash goes up approximately 2 to 3 inches.)

Nothing better than finding packages of fish supplies on your doorstep!

I would personally leave it as it is so you can see it on all 3 sides, or just add a black background to the tank so you have options if you want to move it in the future.

I like the idea of a fish tank in the bathroom, I do not have any in my bathrooms yet so maybe I need some more tanks!

OP
OP
A2dahlberg

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished up the rock work for my tank. If I can figure out how to get pic from my iPhone to my no apple laptop I'll upload it. Waiting on the salt now but have a few quick question. Can I cycle the tank with out a heater? What's more important a heater or a Red Sea Fish Pharm ARE21525 Marine Care Test Kit for Aquarium? If I get the heater then I will gradually purchase Hanna testers.

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested to see the tank following to see progress.
I know you say the bathroom is not used but I would be careful if the temperature rises as they tend to keep heat well.

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could theoretically meet in the middle with the backdrop and use something such as a black plastic board or something so that it isnt as permanent

OP
OP
A2dahlberg

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just meant that if say the shower ever needed to be ran. Im sure you’ve thought it through just pointing out my initial thoughts
If it needs to be used they can use the guest shower down stairs. I use that bath/shower combo to hold my bucket for my tanks :).

OP
OP
A2dahlberg

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it needs to be used they can use the guest shower down stairs. I use that bath/shower combo to hold my bucket for my tanks :).
I do have to figure out where to hook up the rodi filter at, maybe mount it to the wall next to the toilet intake?

But probably under the sink.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished up the rock work for my tank. If I can figure out how to get pic from my iPhone to my no apple laptop I'll upload it. Waiting on the salt now but have a few quick question. Can I cycle the tank with out a heater? What's more important a heater or a Red Sea Fish Pharm ARE21525 Marine Care Test Kit for Aquarium? If I get the heater then I will gradually purchase Hanna testers.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure you'll you'll need a heater in the fluval. Mine stayed at pretty much between 76-78 degrees. We keep our house at roughly 72-73 during the day while we are home. 70 at bedtime. When we are away at work it stays at 78. Between the internal pump and the lights it stayed pretty steady.

OP
OP
A2dahlberg

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure you'll you'll need a heater in the fluval. Mine stayed at pretty much between 76-78 degrees. We keep our house at roughly 72-73 during the day while we are home. 70 at bedtime. When we are away at work it stays at 78. Between the internal pump and the lights it stayed pretty steady.
Thank for the info, when my salt finally gets here I start cycling and take temp through out the process so see how stable they are. The only thing I'm kind of worried about is we keep our house on the cool side 64-68.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for the info, when my salt finally gets here I start cycling and take temp through out the process so see how stable they are. The only thing I'm kind of worried about is we keep our house on the cool side 64-68.
If I tried to keep my house that cool in Florida my electric bill would be a 1000.00 month! Lol

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in California on the coast about 30 min next to Oregon so we get a lot of rain and its always cool :cool:.
I do have to figure out where to hook up the rodi filter at, maybe mount it to the wall next to the toilet intake?

But probably under the sink.
That might be the best bet. They have ones that attach to shower heads I think. I would be cautious about no heater. I live in California as well and my heater that it came with under heated my tank to like 71-73 one morning and I recommend one

Back